Meaning of "demand"

What does this second sentence mean?

“It was no accident that nineteenth-century naturalist Charles Darwin strove to connect the mentality and emotionality of people with that of dogs, rather than, say, line doves or horses. Neither his theory of evolution nor any general understanding of biology demanded that he preferentially underline our similarity to dogs over other species. But politically and emotionally, the choice was inevitable for an English gentleman who had set himself palatable.”

Hi,
I understand this , that it was no rule,no common knowledge,no evidence etc …
In biology that has forced Darwin
to ignore a similarity of dogs to poeple over other species.
It was only his personal attitude over sientistic truth.

biology demanded - biology requested

Regards
Jan

Hi

I think Jan has the right idea. :smiley:

There was nothing in Darwin’s theory or in science (biology) in general that made it necessary to compare people only or mainly with dogs. Darwin apparently had other “non-scientific” reasons. :wink:

Amy

Ha Ha :lol:

You know I was wrong …

I guess … too long in Europe? :lol:

I should have written to emphasise instead of to ignore
but … I have a dog too and it may explain something.

scientific is almost no mistake 8)

undermine mixed with underline

Regards
Jan

Could you please explain this part a bit more? I understood up to “similarity to dogs” but why “over other species”? What does it mean here?

Tom

I understand that to mean “rather than” (indicating that something was given preference).

In other words, “Darwin stressed our similarity to dogs rather than our similarity to other species”.

Is it possible to say that he “perferentially underlined our similarity to dogs” which neither his theory nor any general understanding of biology demanded him to do so?

Hi,
I could use the word “demand” same way myself.
It is probably the good example, about the sentence structure… .
Well, dodgy buggers like me shouldn’t teach others.
For me it is fine but who knows if it is really correct?

Regards
Jan

The question -who knows is purely retorical some people certainly know it.

Hi cooliegirly

Two options with slight changes:

He “perferentially underlined our similarity to dogs” although neither his theory nor any general understanding of biology demanded (that) he do so.

• OR -

He “perferentially underlined our similarity to dogs” although neither his theory nor any general understanding of biology required him to do so.

Amy

PS
Hi Cap’n Jan.

So he actually did it. I wasn’t sure if he actually underlined it or not. I see now.