meaning of "commitment to a bit"

Hi,

Could you tell me what “commitment to a bit” means?

Thanks !

1 Like

I think you misunderstood it, Alex. It doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Hi, Jamie

I don’t know, maybe I did… that last part wasn’t what you call “loud and clear” :slight_smile:
Could you have a look at the record of the dialog I made (80 KB)?
mediafire.com/?ydv2wjhwwzz

Thanks again.

You’re right, Alex, that’s what it sounds like, but it doesn’t make any sense.

Thanks !

Now I’m confused. Even native speakers sometimes don’t make sense to each other. I’m really worried if I may hope to be understood :o :lol:

1 Like

It’s this:

Lisa: There’s spiders in your hair.
Bart: That’s what you call commitment to a bit

Here are other examples.

Religious fundamentalists are repugnant but I respect their commitment to a bit. They have integrity. Religious moderates do not.

sedition.com/a/275

More on the hox genes tip, with a note to the author of The Voltage Gate: it helps not to submit a dead link to a blog carnival, especially when the hosts are misanthropic jerks who are likely to insult your mother. However, your sheer nerdtastic commitment to a bit - in this case, several thousand words on why (and how) spiders are more like horseshoe crabs than insects - won us over. Click here, dear reader, to peruse the functioning parts of his argument. -N.S.

frinktank.com/spread-your-br … d-bank-60/

But I believe in commitment to a bit. Over the course of this week I’ve eaten at Swatow three times and I can’t say it’s gotten better. By the third time the waiters are doing a double take when I sit down as in, ”Why is this guy coming back?” Am I elitist for not trying the Budweiser?

tasteto.com/2007/07/21/knucklebone/

From the mall, Sara, the Connies and I went and got some ribs. They were delicious but one of my fillings was hurting me throughout dinner, so I didn’t really enjoy myself. Took Sara back to her house after dinner because she had to open the next day. I hung out long enough to apply some Oragel to my tooth and pretend that my whole mouth was numb and let water run down my cheek onto my shirt. That’s commitment to a bit!

patchdrury.com/archive/2006_ … chive.html

Well, you’ve certainly found examples of usage, but you haven’t succeeded in making the expression make sense. It still sounds nonsensical. It sounds like commitment to the bit rod in a horse’s bridle.

1 Like

Thank you, Molly, for the ground-breaking work you’ve done digging up info on this expression :slight_smile:

But, since the expression is not very clear, I’d better keep off it, or else I will run a risk of being misunderstood. :slight_smile:

Or accused of being trendy. :lol:

It might be the early stages of a trend. You never know.

I hadn’t heard that expression either. If it hasn’t even made it to the Urban Dictionary yet, I wonder how widespread it could actually be. :lol:

1 Like

I laughed at this Simspons quote, then started using it in regular everyday life… And here’s the answer to its meaning:

From comedians.about.com/od/glossary/g/bit.htm

“…Definition: A ‘bit’ in stand-up comedy is an individual routine on a certain topic; if a comic’s set is like a rock album, consider a bit as an individual song. A series of bits add up to a complete set.
Also Known As: routine…”

It’s sort of showbiz-talk when Bart says it. The “bit” is the joke with the skeleton hand & he’s so dedicated to grossing Lisa out, that he’s really committed to “selling” it, even at the expense of his own comfort (spiders crawling on his head). What makes it funny is that he sees it as performing, whereas she sees it as gross/potentially dangerous. I have a sister… I remember as kids committing to a bit for a “laugh” (although no one was laughing)…

1 Like

Well, if you google the phrase ‘commitment to a bit’ today you do get quite a few results. What’s more, this forum post is found frequently by people who google the phrase so apparently it has its fans.

1 Like