Meaning of AWOL

What does it mean ,awol’’. It’s an abbreviation of something? As an idiom is used…or!?Tx :shock: :smiley: :oops:

Hi,

This is short for Absent Without Leave and is used particularly in a military sense for someone who has taken leave without permission and is therefore missing. The expression is to go AWOL.

Alan

AWOL or awol - adj.
Absent without leave.
n.
One who is absent without leave.

absent without permission; “truant schoolboys”; “the soldier was AWOL for almost a week”

Mr. Alan, can we say that someone: “has taken leave without permission”?

I think that ‘to take leave’ is ‘to get permission’, am I correct?

My respect

I need an explanation for ,american pie’’ in american english and ,american pie" in british english.It’s a difference between them??? In USA is sweet and the one from UK is made by meat?! :oops: :oops: :oops: :smiley:

“American Pie” is a strange idiom. We say that something or someone is “as American as apple pie”.

In the 1970s some singer had a hit with a stupid, incoherent song that said, “Bye-bye Miss American Pie”, which I guess was supposed to mean that someone was saying good-bye to some wholesome “all-American girl”.

So “American pie” isn’t a food. It’s just some kind of description of some typically wholesome all-American person, almost always a girl. It’s also the title of a movie from the 1980s.

Ok Jamie…thanks!!! But someone told me that is the most traditional American dessert.” Pie has become so much a part of American culture throughout the years, that we now commonly use the term “as American as apple pie.”
In Uk doesn’t have another meaning, besides the movie? :roll: :roll: :roll: :?:
Tx in adv. :smiley:

Hi Chris,

We would only use this corny expression here with a slight sense of ridicule.

Alan

Thanks Mr Alan! :o :o :wink:

We use it the same way.