Meaning of annual increment

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #155 [color=blue]“Budgeting”, question 6

The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year’s level plus annual .

(a) accrual
(b) increment
(c) inflation
(d) investment

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #155 [color=blue]“Budgeting”, answer 6

The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year’s level plus annual inflation.

Correct answer: (c) inflation

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year’s level plus annual increment.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi,
I am not quite clear about this answer, isn’t it right to use “increment” here?

Many thanks

An increment calculated on some basis would be a good way to prepare a budget; the sentence, however, states the wrong way to do so.

Hi, MM
I am confused why you shouldn’t consider the “inflation” when making a budget :roll:

FangFang

The point the author is making is that you should not prepare a budget simply by taking last year’s budget and adding a figure for inflation. Each year’s budget needs close consideration, not a perfunctory addition for inflation.

PS: I’ve just edited that question slightly to address your concerns, FF. In doing so, I also noticed that increment would normally require an indefinite article, as it is countable; inflation is not and therefore does not.

Thanks for your comments and questions on these tests; it helps me improve their composition.