Many people have learned a foreign language in their own country...

Many people have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have learned a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken. Which is better? Give the advantages of each and support your opinion.

Some people prefer to learn language in the home country, but others regard learning language abroad as better option. Each of these methods have their own advantages and disadvantages. Learning language at home country provides an opportunity to connect with a teacher who knows your native language, to attend different language schools, to learn literature language, without slang.

Learning a foreign language in the own country allows a person to meet a teacher who knows native language, thus accelerating the process of learning. For example, one need to learn phrasal verb or idiom. It will be relatively long process to realize the meaning of the idiom in the foreign speaking environment. But it can be learned easily if a good teacher explains and provides with examples.

Learning language at home country implies attendance of various language schools. You can find language partners and improve your skills participating in such programs. Moreover, it is a good opportunity to find new friends. From my university experience I can conclude that learning with a partner is easier and more interesting.

Another advantage of learning language in your own country is the possibility to learn classical literature language, without slang. If you live in the country the learning language is spoken in, you will hear many slang and bad words. It’s not so good for beginner, because he needs to gain knowledge of basic grammar and develop correct speech. Learning correct, classical language is especially important, if he is trying to apply to the foreign university, because the most of speech in campus is academic.

However, there should be mentioned some pluses of studying a foreign language abroad. The pace of speech in the country in which it is spoken usually is higher, and one can hardly understand the native speakers conversation if he learned language at home. Furthermore, during the time some changes in the language occurs, which are not considered while studying in own country. For example, when I was learning English in the high school, there were distinctive rules determining the usage of “shall/will”. But now, many people tend to use just one form – “will”.
Considering pros and cons of each method, I prefer to learn language at home, while supporting gained knowledge by visiting foreign countries time to time. So, I will be able to learn “proper” language, stay on the current of changes and find new friends. This approach will save my money, time and efforts.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Natural History

Hi,

I am going to read your essay aloud and make comments as I read. Please press play -

Hope this was useful.

Alan

thank you very much, Alan! You really helped me :slight_smile: I have been writing this essay taking into account time limits, and I didn’t leave enough time to check. I learned, I’ve to leave at least 5 minutes for proofread. Thank you again