'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #21 [color=blue]“Expressions with make”, question 6

Charity made a scene at the club when she saw her boyfriend dancing with another girl.

(a) played a role
(b) had a fight
(c) hid herself
(d) acted like a fool

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #21 [color=blue]“Expressions with make”, answer 6

Charity acted like a fool at the club when she saw her boyfriend dancing with another girl.

Correct answer: (d) acted like a fool

Your answer was: [color=green]correct
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

I think (b) is more suitable for ‘make a scene’ although I chose (d). Which is the best?

haihao

Hi,

‘Make a scene’ suggests that you make a fool of yourself because you are behaving in a stupid way and attracting attention to yourself. It doesn’t usually mean ‘having a fight’.

A

I can undestand why Haihao relates ‘making a scene’ to ‘having a fight’, though. A scene can also have the meaning of ‘quarrel’ or ‘argument’ as in ‘family scenes’. In the test, however, and as Alan explained, what Charity (inappropriate name in this context!) did was put on a display of temper, as small children sometimes do when they aren’t given what they want. We don’t know if a fight ensued.

Thank you so much for your considerate explanation and nice to see you, Dona Conchita.

What you said is just what I had felt. Your comments always interest me and make me contemplate for a while. I was very impressed with your sentiment for ‘too many Scarllets and not enough Melanies’. I have a similar one to yours. It seems to me that we are doomed to stay short of the chances to meet Melanies because they are so lacking in the capability to show off and always reluctant to show up…

Sorry for the digression. Thanks again. haihao