looking for; search; seek

Hi, everyone.

When must we use: looking for; search and seek?

a) I’m _______ the address of my son.
b) I’m _______ the address of my son.
b) I’m _______ the address of my son.

I would like to know the correct expression and the why.
In others words, in which situation is each one used?
Thanks,
Hensiq

Hi, everyone.

I’m writing again this topic and I would like all of you, consider what is written below, instead of the first submission.

When must we use: looking for; search and seek?

Which the expressions are grammatically right?
a) I’m [color=red]looking for the address of my son.
b) I’m in [color=orange]search of the address of my son.
c) I’m [color=blue]seeking the address of my son.

I would like to know the correct expression and the why.
In others words, in which situation is each one used?
Thanks,
Hensiq

‘Looking for’ and ‘seeking’ are generally interchangeable,
‘in search of’ indicates that this is something you don’t have and you are following some sort of a trail of clues or information to try to find it.

Thanks, Bev, for your response.

I also noticed what you said that ‘Looking for’ and ‘seeking’ are generally interchangeable.
I agree also with you about your point of view: ‘in search of’ indicates that this is something you don’t have and you are following some sort of a trail of clues or information to try to find it.
It’s why I wrote those paragraphs in my last post.
Thanks once again by taking away my doubts.

Regards,
Hensiq

Hi,

Although ‘look for’ and ‘seek’ are similar in meaning, their use is sometimes different. Of the two ‘look for’ in the sense of trying to find is the more common but ‘seek’ tends to be used in special circumstances. It is often used in an abstract way as in ‘seek the truth’ and also is often used in an official way as when the police are looking for someone as in: Police are currently seeking a man aged about 20 last seen in the area. Note also the use of the past participle ‘sought’ as in ‘sought after’ referring to something that is desired/wanted by people as in: They would like to live in a sought after part of the town but the prices are very high.

Alan

Hi, Alan.

How are you doing?
Thank you for your explanation.

However I have noticed expressions such as: “The search has began, so now everybody is looking for the easter bunny!”; “The police are searching for two more suspects.”, etc.
In the last expression, according your point of view, can be written: “The police are seeking for two more suspects”?

Regards,
Hensiq

Hi,

You would have to say: The police are seeking as there is no preposition ‘for’ required. When you use ‘search’ with the meaning of ‘look for’, you need the preposition ‘for’. Note the difference: I searched the room but could not find what I was searching for. '‘Search’ without the preposition ‘for’ means examine in detail in order to find something. ‘Search for’ means to look for. Another example is when the police search someone, it means they check what they have on or in their clothes, looking perhaps for stolen items/drugs/guns.

Hope that helps.

Alan

I just was thinking at the same way that you have wrote, but I was not sure.
Now, I’m sure, after your explanation!

Thanks, again, Alan.
Hugs,
Hensiq