Logic of question tags?

Dear Alan,

how are you my dear friend? I hope when you receive my message you’ll be in good health and cool.

Dear,

I haven’t heard about present perfect with if clause, so do we have such rules?

Please tell me because I was asked by my students such question and I haven’t explain such rules to them previously.

With honour and respect

Hadeer

Hi Hadeer,

As you know, there are three main types of conditional sentence. The first is the so called ‘possible’ condition as in: If I save enough money, I’ll buy that new car. To make this conditional idea more, as it were, associated with what is happening now, you can say: If I have saved enough money, I’ll buy that new car. The emphasis is there on the practical part of the ‘saving’.

I hope that helps.

Alan

Dear Alan,

Really, this information is new to me. As a matter of fact, I thought that there are only three and sometimes four types of conditional sentences. These are as such:
If +v (simple present) = subject t+ V (simple future)
If+ v (simple present)= subject+ V (simple present)
If+ v (simple past)= subject+ V (future in the past form (would))
If + v (past perfect) = subject + V (future in the perfect form/ would have done)
Am I right?
The one you mention is very new and even I never recognized it here in this website. However, thank you dear for the clarification

Hadeer

I have some problems with understand from this kind and now, after explain i can understand how i used it thank you , indeed

Dear Alan, you are very good man , i mean your explaintion very clear for me,thank you

Hi, there!

Following the forum, especially on the topic at hand, is very interesting! Reading queries and the responses of the administrators is enlightening. To those who asked questions, thank you for doing so. You’ve done a great job, haven’t you?

Dong

Good afternoon, Mr Alan Townend
“Let me take an essay of the logic of question tags”?
“I rather could ride your bike: could not I”?
“I rather spoke loudly than my friend: could I”?
“He rather could buy two pairs of jeans next week: could He”?
Best wishes,
Robert Fimbo

Your questions need some work, Robert, and your question tags also need to change if you wish them to reflect natural usage.

‘rather’ is not used in the way you indicate. It in dicates preference over something else.

I’d rather ride, your bike than walk, wouldn’t I? (I’d = I would’, therefore the question tag response is ‘would I not?’ or in its abbreviated form ‘wouldn’t I?’
I’d rather speak louder than my friend, wouldn’t I?

I could ride your bike, couldn’t I?
I could ride your bike rather than walk, couldn’t I?

I can speak louder than my friend, can’t I?
I could speak louder than my friend, couldn’t I?

He could buy two pairs of jeans next week, couldn’t he?
He’d rather buy two pairs of jeans next week, wouldn’t he?