Logic of question tags?

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/elem-35 “Question Tags”

Hello, I have some problems with understand the logic from this taps. Please can you help me to understand it. :oops:

Hi Milka,

I can perhaps explain the pattern of these tags. The idea is that the speaker is asking for agreement, support or confirmation from the listener. The pattern is that if the first part is positive, the second part is negative and vice versa - both parts are in the same tense. So we have: You understand (positive present), don’t you? (negative interrogative present) You didn’t hear, did you?

Hope this is a little clearer.

Alan

Hello Alan,
Thanks a lot. Yes now I understand the pattern. :lol: Just one more question this kind of question I can use every time in every context or just in special situation.
Thanks again.

Hi Milka,

Yes, you can use it in any context although of course it is a device used in conversation. It’s equivalent to expressions like: isn’t that true? isn’t it? used in other European languages.

Best wishes

Alan

Now I think I got the logic of the answer. The question tag was related to the first part of the sentence “you aren’t…”

Hi,

If I say: I should have gone over there. what should I add in my question tag: Should not I or Should not have I?

Thanks,
Pradeep Bhandari

" I should have gone over there,… shouldn’t I.?"

" I shouldn’t have gone over there, … should I ?"

" We shouldn’t wake Alan up too early on a Sunday, … should we ?" :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Kitosdad.

Dear Alan,
How are you dear?
Concerning tag questions, we in the Arabic countries have the same structure as “tag question “in English, and it is a good opportunity to make comparison between the two subjects to our students. Thanks a lot for the lesson and God bless you
Hadeer

Hi all
Those questions tag are so confusing, but I understand now how can I used it…
Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi
These questions tag and tag questions are very interested for me.Pls tell me how will i do it.

Hi Madi,

There are two things about question tags to remember: (1) They are used in conversation (2) They are used by the speaker to get a reaction from the person who is listening.

If I make a positive statement - You understand what I have said - and if I want the listener to accept this, I add don’t you?

If I make a negative statement - You don’t understand what I have said - and again if I want the listener to accept this, I add do you?

Alan

Great. This is really awesome forum. I love it much. Thanks to Alan, Kitos, and all of you guys. Lina

Dear Alan and all,

Is it possible to use Multiple Intelligences in teaching “Tag Questuin”?

Best wishes

Bushra

Hi Bushra,

You’ve lost me there - I don’t know what you mean by

Alan

Dear Alan
The theory of multiple intelligences was proposed by Howard Gardner in 1983 to more accurately define the concept of intelligence and to address the question whether methods, which claim to measure intelligence (or aspects thereof), are truly scientific. According to multiple intelligence theory, there are nine basic types of intelligence:
• Visual-spatial
• Verbal-linguistic
• Logical-mathematical
• Bodily-kinesthetic
• Musical-rhythmic
• Interpersonal
• Intrapersonal
• Naturalistic
• Existential
In Iraq, these days we are trying to follow the same technique and to get rid from the old methods of teaching. Therefore, I’m wondering if it is possible to know how to teach tag questions according to such theory?
Best wishes
Hadeer

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. Some of these theories sound to me far too grand to explain question tags. as I explained above, the tags are very much based on the idea of getting a reaction from your listener since they are used in conversation. In your list I can only relate to ‘interpersonal’.

Alan

Dear Alan,

Thanks a lot

Hadeer

So please why you didn’t put ( wouldn’t ) between choices it’s the right answer…

Dear Alan,

Could you please explain the error in this sentence:
The program is starting soon. Can you tell me if it starts?

Best wishes

hadeer

Hi Hadeer,

This should read: The program is starting soon. Can you tell me if it has started?

Alan