Like / as with

1. Mumbai, like most big cities, suffers from too much traffic and massive pollution.
  2. Mumbai, as with most big cities, suffers from too much traffic and massive pollution.
    Please correct the above.
    Thanks.
  1. Mumbai, like most other big cities, suffers too much traffic congestion and air pollution.
  2. Mumbai, as most other big cities do, suffers massive traffic congestion and air pollution.
    (Most big cities including Mumbai suffer a very high degree of traffic congestion and air pollution)

Hi,

I’d let this go -

Perhaps -

along with most big cities

would be a bit snappier.

Alan, I have three questions:

1. Is ‘from’ necessary? If so, where will we use without ‘from’?
  2. When you say ‘as with’, is it not ‘as is with’? If so, will it agree with ‘suffers’.
  3. What is meant by traffic and massive pollution’? Does it mean ‘traffic pollution and massive pollution’? If so, what is massive pollution?

‘Suffer’ on its own suggests ‘endure’ as in - suffer pain - suffer the consequences. 'Suffer from (needed here) is to put up with a particular problem - complaint. Compare She suffers from arthritis but She suffers pain without making a fuss. ‘As with’ suggests here a summary of ‘As is the case with’. Finally I believe the two are separate problems - heavy traffic and pollution.

Thanks, Alan.