Letter to An Author

Write an English essay of NO MORE THAN 250 words on the following topic:“Letter to An Author”
Write a letter to the author of a book. It could be an author still alive or already deceased. Tell him or her why you like or dislike the book, and whether you find it inspiring for the contemporary world. Put your signature as “John Doe.”

Dear Joanne Kathleen Rowling,

I love “Harry Potter.” I read the series when I was in middle school. I just wanted to say thank you. They say that these are children’s books but they are so much more than that. They are deep, meaningful stories that anyone from five to 85 can relate to. It makes you think and wonder and want to learn. This series helped me become the men I am today.

Harry and his friends have helped me through so much. We fought Voldemort and the bullies. We defeated the Dementors and the sad times right alongside each other. When Harry cried, I cried. When he laughed, I was laughing. “Harry Potter” taught me that it is OK to be afraid and that there is bravery in everyone. He taught me that friends can be found in the most unlikely of places. He taught me that even when life is against you, you will always have those people around who love you and want to take care of you.

I started reading the books in middle school and have read them a dozen times since. Because of Harry, I have made friendships with so many people. It has given me something to do at any time when I was bored. I couldn’t have imagined my childhood without Harry and the gang. When I get older, people may ask me if I still love these stories. I will respond, “Always.”

Best wishes,
John Doe

2 Likes

HelloTed,
Your effort in preparation for your exam is commendable.
Here are some things I suggest for paragraph#1.
Paragraphs #2 and #3 are well done. At the same time, it seems like you didn’t address one of the questions
–> “tell him …whether you find it inspiring for the contemporary world.” While you included great description why these books were interesting to you, you didn’t really write anything about how these books are inspiring for others in the modern world. Can it be one more paragraph?
Good luck!

I love “Harry Potter.” I read the series when I was in middle school. I just wanted to say thank you. They say that these are children’s books{,} but they are so much more than that. They are deep, meaningful stories that anyone from five to 85(eighty-five} can relate to. It{The stories} makes{make} you think and wonder and want to learn. This{these <-- plural} series helped me become the men I am today.

3 Likes

Thank you Yanina, and I rewrote it. Can you help to give some advice?
Dear Joanne Kathleen Rowling,

I love “Harry Potter.” I read the series when I was middle school. Harry and his friends have helped me through so much. We fought Voldemort and the bullies. We defeated the Dementors and the sad times right alongside each other. When Harry cried, I cried. When he laughed, I was laughing. “Harry Potter” taught me that it is OK to be afraid and that there is bravery in everyone. He taught me that friends can be found in the most unlikely of places. He taught me that even when life is against you, you will always have those people around who love you and want to take care of you.

I was always inspired when I read these stories. Though Harry was weak when he was young, he never and ever forgave to fight Voldemort. Finally, through hard working and countless difficulties, he won. It inspired not only me but also everyone worldwide. It told us that no matter how bad the game was, it really ended only when you gave up. This series helped me become the men I am today.

I started reading the books in middle school and have read them a dozen times since. Because of Harry I have made friendships with so many people. It has given me something to do any time when I was bored. I couldn’t have imagined my childhood without Harry and the gang. When I get older, people may ask me if I still love these stories. I will respond, “Always.”

Best wishes,
John Doe

2 Likes