Let's move on!

Lindy: Come on! Let’s move on. I can see a rest area ahead.
Katie: Here we are. We’ve arrived at the peak. Can you take a photo of me?

• “Let’s move on” here means “Let’s keep moving”, right? And by the way, I think “I can see THE rest area ahead” is better, right? :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch to friends!

NamSteven

Hello Nam,

You are correct, ‘let’s move on’ does mean ‘let’s keep moving’ in that example.

Also, I think both ‘a’ and ‘the’ are acceptable in the sentence. I don’t think that one is necessarily better than the other.

If they’ve previously been talking about or expecting the rest area, then yes, I’d say ‘the’ might be required. But if they’ve just stumbled upon an unexpected rest area, then it’s perfectly fine to say ‘a’ rest area.

Hi Skrej,
I still can’t understand why ‘the’ is not prefered here. I agree with you that ‘the’ is just compulsorily used when the object is mentioned for the second time. However I don’t think this is the case. I suppose we should (or must?) use ‘the’ here because there is only one rest area, right? It’s just like this: ‘This area of the country is rainy all year round, but the rest is quite dry’. What do you think?

Many thanks,
Nessie.

hi Nessie,

It’s all a matter of interpretation. If you want a bus, you wait at a bus stop or the bus stop. It really depends how precise you wan to be.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your help, but could you please be more specific? I still can’t get the point - there is only one ‘rest area’, isn’t there?

Many thanks,
Nessie.

Hi Nessie,

I don’t quite see your point about ‘the rest is quite dry’. There are two meanings: rest as in remaining (your example) ‘rest’ as in ‘relaxing’ = a rest area = a place you can rest in/relax in. In the original post:

we are talking either about one rest area or if it’s a place we are looking for or have been told about, then it would be the rest area.

Does that help?

Alan