Learning in the same environment

Would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Boys and girls should attend separate schools. Use specific reasons and examples to support you answer.

There has been a heated debate concerning the single gender education for students. In fact, there is a growing sentiment that put more emphasis on the importance of attending separate schools. At the same time, there is a solid body of opinion that dislikes and says that students should be taught in same environment. In my opinion, I concur with the latter for two primary reasons.

First and foremost, students might find it hard to immerse in the real world. Students spend more time in school than in their homes. This means that they will get used to the school environment and interact with people they see every day, fellow students and teachers. If they are in single gender classrooms, they will be spending years with either boys or girl. This can backfire when students graduate and have to be in the real world where males and females co-exist. It might be a struggle for them to build relationships or interact with people from the opposite sex.

Secondly, single gender classroom settings are not fit for some boys and girls. Some students work well when with peers of the same gender. Conversely, there are those who are will shine better when in a mixed-classroom setting. There are assertive kids who might intimidate other students in single gender classroom environments.

On the other hand, some may argue that the students will be taught equality. With both male and female students attending classes together and participating in class activities, these students will be able to learn about equality between men and women. As opposed to single-sex schools, coed schools treat students equally with no preference to sex, thus, when assignments are given, there are no special treatments and students are graded and evaluated on their performance.

To sum up briefly, I believe that coeducation is the best way for boys and girls to get prepared for the real life after school and to learn how to work in team with the opposite sex, so that results will be better.

2 Likes

Hi, based on my experience your ideas and thoughts are much more important than formal standards such as the TOEEFL or IELTS or LCCI or Oxford or any other essay requirements. Your written English (and probably your spoken English too) is very good so please do continue concentrating on what you want to say rather than on meeting requirements by a hierarchical anonymous organization.

I absolutely agree with you – putting students in separate schools divided by gender is a practice of the past. Nowadays young people have access to all kinds of resources and all they really need in order to learn anything is one single factor: a keen interest in the world around them.

So, I would be interested in learning more about and your plans for the future. What kind of exam are you preparing for and why? Many thanks for sharing. Regards, Torsten

2 Likes