Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do yo

Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree?
I disagree with the statement that learning about the past is needless. There is no future without past and we learn the past to understand the present and what we do today takes us towards future. In my opinion, the past means who you are,what kind of mistakes you have done and how successful you have been in your past.
To begin with, we learn our history to know what kind of identity we have. In order to know your roots, you should know your past. Knowing history will help you understand why you are doing certain types of customs, why people in your country apply Islam or Christianity. It is possible also to get information why your nation settled in the country where you live now or why eating habits in your family is different from others. For example, Muslims do not eat pig meat and it has its historical background.
Furthermore, learning about the past will be good lessons learned for today. Sometimes we face the same problems in the present days that we had failures with them in the past. In this context, the elaboration of mistakes carefully could bring us right decisions. For example, there was time when numerous of countries were under occupation of Soviet Unions. Soviet Unions did pressure on their territories and consumed their resources. After independence of post-soviet countries, they carried out their independent policy. Nowadays, when post –soviet countries see any attempt from Russia to obey them again, they stand against that strongly. It is clear that they have good lessons learned from past when they were under rule of soviet Unions.
In summary, the past is the part of our lives. We learn our history in order to be successful in our present days. Our failures in the past teach us valuable lessons and we just need consider them in its time.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Fine Arts

Hi Lilly, your essay had some very good parts, but I thought your introduction was a little unclear. In some other sentences, I knew what you were talking about, but some of your phrases sounded a little odd. You had some excellent examples though, that helped support your points and made them more clear. I think this might squeak by with a 4 out of 5.