LCCI EfB prep project, Dresden

Hi ESL students. Here is our latest response:
youtube.com/watch?v=8bp5RVt-_iQ

youtu.be/8bp5RVt-_iQ

Hi Gabi, Mario and Katja,
Unfortunately, Mother Nature struck again. We had a bad wind storm last night and it knocked the power out again at about 10:30 am (my time) - 7:30 am your time.
This year has been a difficult one and I apologize for not being able to meet with you this morning. The power company employees are overworked and, as I sit in Starbucks right now, I can hear police officers talking about all of the havoc they had to deal with this past week.
Anyway, I hope it’s restored soon and I will keep in touch with Torsten to make sure you are all updated about the progress.
I look forward to our session tomorrow morning.
Take care,
Linda

Hi everyone, here is just a short update – you’ll receive a more detailed response in a few hours: youtube.com/watch?v=hP2cUoce … ture=youtu[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: When are the new employees scheduled to start?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten, no rush. Half of our crew is missing as my wife Michelle took our son Campbell to Harry Potter World in Florida for a mini vacation.

Good morning everyone, here is a task for you for today: Find out what the ‘strangest secret in the world’ is and why it is called the strangest secret? What exactly is so strange about it? Please post your answers here on the forum so we can share them with the other English-Team groups that are learning English with us today (Gera, Jena and Leipzig).

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you like cream in your coffee?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello everybody,

We tried to create a transcript of your latest video message ( but we had some help from Katjas son in law). And here it is:

Luschen: Hi, hello German learners. This is the family and first I would like to introduce our new addition. This is my wife. Can you say Hello.
Michele: Hello!
Luschen: What is your name?
Michele: Michael
Luschen: OK! We really enjoy your last video and so we want to answer your questions right away. The first question was “What is your favorite team or player in sports?”
Campbell: My favorite team, I mean, player. He plays for the Capitals, that is Washington, in hockey. His name is Alexander Ovechkin. He is form Russia.
Luschen: And Mark likes him too. What about you Thomas?
Thomas: I like Tim Timo, he plays football and he is on the Bonkers.
Luschen and kid: American football.
Luschen: Alright. What did they consider football?
Kids: Soccer
Luschen: Alright. And another question. Are you good at school? That question was a little vague because I think when you say “are you good at school?”, it might mean “Do you behave well at school?” So that would be the best question for our kids. Do you behave well at school?
Campbell: Yes
Luschen: You follow the rules. What about you Thomas?
Campbell: I do my homework, yes, I do.
Luschen: I think what you really meant though is “ Do you do well in school?” That means, do you make good grades?
Michele: Do you learn?
Luschen: Do you learn well? What about you Thomas?
Thomas: I do perfect
Luschen: I think they all are good at school and they do well. So the next question is, how far do we live from school? How do we get there?
Mark: Like 2 or 3 miles.
Luschen: No, 1 mile. We measured out. It is 1.2 miles. Which is…how Luscheny kilometers?. They use kilometers in GerLuscheny. I guess is 2 kilometers.
Campbell: I do not pay attention in Math.
Luschen: I think we live two kilometers. And how do we get there?
Michele: No 1 kilometer is 1.6.
Luschen: No, 1 kilometer is .54.
Campbell: So, we ride our bikes. Sometimes we ride it when it is warm. And we ride our car if it cold or raining.
Luschen: And that leads into the next question. How is the weather like? Today it was cold than in the morning.
Campbell: Yeah. But then when it is really warmed up and there had not been that much rain.
Luschen: So, there was a , there was like 0 degree Celsius this morning when we woke up. And by this afternoon it was all the way up to like 18 degrees Celsius. I think I am getting that right. So it was good and the kids were playing outside. And the next question, oh you had a question about the parallels because the Washington state they had a big snow blizzard. No snow for us. I think this is a good chance to show you how big the United States is compared to Europe. Because I looked on the map and if we compared where we live in Nashville Tennessee to Washington State it is the same as the distance between Dresden and Baghdad Iraq. So when you think of if the weather in Baghdad affects you, that is how we are affected by the weather in Washington. So, no, we did not see that weather at all, we had our own weather. And we had a tornado warning, but we did not release our power. So now the kids want to ask you some questions. Campbell. Do you want to ask a question?
Campbell: Oh yeah. What do you do during the day? Like, do you have a hobby or
Luschen: Do you have jobs? Or do you have a hobby that you enjoy doing? And what do you want to ask Thomas?
Thomas: Well, my question is. Why do you want to learn American language?
Luschen: English. Why do you want to learn English? OK, Mark does not have a question. So anyway, Let’s all say goodbye. Wait, one more question.
Thomas: Did not they want to know about mum?
Luschen: Yes, her name is Michael. Do you have any questions you want to add Michele?
Michele: No. I am OK.
Luschen: OK, good bye, than you.
All: Bye

Please let us know what you think about it and if there are any mistakes.

Thank you in advance.

the indisofties
(Gabi, Katja, Torsten and Mario)

Hello everyone

Here is our latest video message for you:

youtube.com/watch?v=lxCMt1Qk … ture=youtu
We hope you will enjoy it.

Best wishes

The indisofties

Hi Indiesofties! I will have to ask you what that means in our next message. Your transcription was quite good. There were only a couple errors. First, my wife spells her name Michelle. Thomas’ favorite player is Tim Tebow, who plays for the Denver Broncos - although Bonkers would be a good name for a team! A bronco is a horse that has never been ridden. In the U.S. they have contests called rodeos where cowboys compete in various events. One event is “Bronco Busting” where the cowboys see who can ride a bronco the longest before being bucked off. They can’t use a saddle, just a rope wrapped around the horse, and can only hold on with one hand. Maybe you can look at it on YouTube. I was a little off on the temperature that day. It really only got up to 15 Celsius, but that is still pretty nice weather for January. I was correct on the distance though - exactly 2 km.

Hello everyone,

Today we are going to work on the following project. You are planning to stay in the UK or in Ireland for about one month. Please use the Internet to come up with answers to the following questions:

• How can you get to the UK or Ireland?
  • How much does it cost to travel there? Which of the options is the cheapest?
  • What would be a good city or town to stay in and why?
  • What is the best English language school and how much does a 4 week intensive English course cost?
  • What accommodation options are available at what conditions?
  • What kind of jobs are available in the area?
  • How difficult is it to drive on the left-hand side?

In order to get the best price for accommodation and the English course you need to make inquires over the phone. You can use my Skype account to place phone calls to the UK or Ireland. Please, post the answers to the questions on the forum here.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Cleaning the floor

Hi, we had a busy weekend and my son was tired from his trip, so we will try to record our video response tonight.

Hello Indiesofties! Here is our latest video. Our kids were rather rambunctious today - look up that word for homework!

youtube.com/watch?v=PgVkAk4az08

I will have to ask you what that means in our next message.

Hello Thomas, Michelle, Mark,Thomas jr. and Campbell

So what I wanted to know was

"Have you ever attended a "Live Sport Event"."

Do you call it so, when you go to a game of your favourite Team?

I never miss a game of our soccer hometown team.

If you are interested in, here is the link to the website of them:

[www.dynamo-dresden.de](http://www.dynamo-dresden.de)

Kindest regards

Mario
the indisofties

Ok, Thanks Mario - we will answer it in our next video. I heard that Munich (you call it Munchen?) has a little soccer team too :wink:

Looking at the internet, it looks like Dynamo just barely eked out a promotion last season. Are they ready for the tougher competition or will they regret the promotion?

Hi Luschen family,

we think you enjoy this video too. We give our best :-)…

youtube.com/watch?v=8QST4iaj … e=youtu.be

The second video is only for Luschen. It is a youtube video about “Luschen”…

We hope you won’t shoot us.

youtube.com/watch?v=pNSmlp2Zdjk

Best wishes from sunny and cold Dresden
Gabi and Katja

Hello everyone,

Here are some questions for the Mitchell couple:

• Do you hear that your spouse is American/Canadian? (Can you distinguish between an Canadian and an American accent?)
  • Would you like to be able to grow your own food in your garden?
  • What is your favorite TV show/series?
  • Did you learn any foreign languages at school?
  • Have you ever been to Europe?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Sitting on the dock[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Indiesofties! I will try to convince the kids to make a video tonight, but the weather is so good here they just want to play outside. Sunny and 18C - hope it warms up soon there - they have reports on the radio of many deaths from the cold in Ukraine and Poland. I saw this line in an article today and thought of you. You Germans are very good at coming up with just the right word! “There must be a German word for Romney’s particular gift for stumbling at the moment of political triumph.” From this article about the U.S. presidential election: slate.com/articles/news_and_ … poor_.html

Any experience in preparing students for the LCCI EfB exam?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: An operating room[YSaerTTEW443543]

You can now also sign up for our new English For Winners course in Dresden: English For Winners in Dresden[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A parachute[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Thomas,

I’ve just found that there is a Dresden in Tennessee too: cityofdresden.com/[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A food production line[YSaerTTEW443543]

What, is there another Dresden? Are y’all not in Tennessee?