LCCI EfB prep project, Dresden

Dear Friends,

English-Team is currently running a training project for 3 Germans. Part of their course is preparing for the English For Business Exam (LCCI), Level 1. This exam contains two writing assignments: letter and memo

Since writing skills should primarily developed through writing and feedback it I’d like to ask you to review/edit/correct the assignments the Gabi, Katja and Mario are going to post in the ‘Grammar and Vocabulary’ section of the forum over the next three weeks. To avoid doubling or tripling of your efforts we can stick to the ‘first come first serve’ principle, that is, the first editor who arrives simply edits the assignment.

So far, MisterMicawber, Alan, Luschen from Nashville and Linda Arlia Mitchell have expressed their interest in taking part in this project.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.

I look forward to working with you.

Best regards and many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, question-response: When did the cargo ship leave Singapore?

The problem is that editors can arrive simultaneously, especially since editing/commenting takes time. This is what happened when Alan and I both posted to the same letter. We need a more reliable system than FIFO.

Hi Charles, thanks for your immediate response. A simple solution could be this: The first editor that arrives just posts a quick note saying that he/she is working on the text so any editor who arrives next knows that the text is already being edited. What do you think?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Did you catch that reporter’s first name?[YSaerTTEW443543]

OK, let’s try that.

Hello Gabi, Kati, Mario and all English-Team members! The goals of our LCCI EfB prep course are the following:

• preparing for the LCCI EfB, level 1
  • preparing for the speaking test, level 1 (Gabi and Katja) and level 2 (Mario)
  • increasing our level of self-confidence
  • creating our CV’s/professional portfolios
  • finding a new job

Now, in order to prepare for the LCCI EfB, level 1 we should focus on the two main task:

1. writing memos
  2. writing business letters

A memo or letter should contain 150 to 200 words and cover one of the following topics:

• retail orders
  • customer inquiries
  • requests for information
  • replies to complaints
  • reminders about tasks in hand
  • communications between co-workers, etc.

A letter requires the following information:

• Sender’s address
    Complete address. Other details, eg phone numbers, may also be included.

• Recipient’s name (and position)
    The title and name of the person followed by their position (if appropriate).

• Recipient’s address
    The postal address of the intended recipient.

• Appropriate date
    An appropriate date (this will depend on any dates given in the question).

• Correct salutation
    Dear (name) or Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Sirs

• Correct complimentary close
    Yours sincerely or Yours faithfully

• Sender’s signature
    Your name (or a space if your boss has said ‘ready for my signature’).

• Sender’s name
    Your name (or the name of your boss).

-Sender’s position
Your position (or the position of your boss).

A memo should be between 150 and 200 words long and requires the following information:

Who is the memo for?
Who is the memo from?
What is the memo about?
What is the date?

This information should be positioned next to the appropriate headings as in the example below. A job position may be added after the name of the sender (and/or recipient), eg.
To: Ronald McDouglas, Managing Director

The initials of the writer may also be added at the bottom of the memo, eg J.R. Using paragraphs for different points helps to get the message across.

MEMO 

To:
Subject:
Date:

Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

The language used in memos is shorter and more direct than in a letter. It is important to stay to the point, but be polite. Make sure that the person who receives the memo will be able to understand the message.

Checklist Memos:

1. Have you completed the task? (Will the person who receives the memo understand the message?)
  2. Is the layout correct?
  3. Are the details correct? (To: From: Date:)
  4. Does the subject line tell you briefly what the memo is about?
  5. Have you included all the relevant information?
  6. Have you ordered the information in the best way?
  7. Is the language appropriate for a memo?
  8. Have you checked spelling, grammar and punctuation?

Now, please complete the following tasks:
LCCI EfB level 1, letter 1 (2009)
LCCI EfB, level 1, task 2 (2009)
LCCI EfB, task 2 (canteen memo)

Speaking Prep
To prepare for the speaking test we are going to use the following method:

1. You get a speaking assignment and record your response here on the forum.
  2. A trainer will analyze and assess your recording.
  3. A trainer will give you online speaking sessions to improve your speaking skills.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Weren’t you at the conference last month?

Dear Torsten
I will be happy to fill in on Thursday 19th from 8-3pm and look forward to working with that group. I will stop by on Wednesday to meet them and discuss class details.
Stefan

Hi Torsten,
Sam would be more than happy to take this on for Thursday, please confirm if you want him to do it so he can organise his travel.

Also could you let us know the address where the training is being done

Regards
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Since Stefan is based in Dresden, it’s best if he does the course this Thursday. He’ll stop by this Wednesday to meet the group and discuss details. Thank you for your support anyway and I’m sure we can work together on other projects.

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: We’re not going to play today, are we?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good morning everyone. Here is your third writing assignment: LCCI EfB, task 3 (letter: invitation)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: When will we get our bonuses?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello everybody,
in association with the LCCI exam we spoke to a native speaker yesterday. It was Linda.
Let us tell you something about our speaking session.

The technical equipment contains a Laptop, a headset by using just the microphone and some speaking boxes. That’s all about the hardware.

The time was 2.15 pm (MET) as we started to use ‘Skype’ and were connect to the world. For Linda it was just 5.15 am. Thank you so much, Linda, for being awake at that time.

Linda is a native speaker from Washington State in the northwest of the United States closed to Canada. Linda was having a cup of coffee.

The topic was ‘jobs’ but we started with introducing ourselves. We spoke about our hobbies and interests. After few minutes we started talking about the topic.

We saw some images, they were showing different jobs and their titles. We spoke about the jobs. We talked about what they are doing at work. We discussed their advantages and disadvantages. The speaking session toke about fifty minutes. It was very interesting and helpful for all of us.

Last but not least we like to thank Torsten, our English coach who invites us to the forum and permits this amazing chance to us.

Today we did extensive conversation practice. Revision of present perfect form, usage and key/signal words. How does it differ from simple past ?
Question and Answer game: Have you ever… /When did you… ?
Talk about personal history and professional experience.
comparing LCCI Paper question 2 and 3
Skype conference ended after 20 mins, ppt exercise on shopping

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your update. Last night I received an email from Linda. She said that she apologized for having to end the Skype training session after 20 minutes. The area she lives in has been facing a serious power outage due to severe snow storms. She actually drove to a coffee shop to send me that email. Hopefully the power grid gets fixed tomorrow so on Monday she can speak to us again.

I asked her if I can publish the email and she agreed so here it is:

[i]Hi Torsten,
Please apologize to the students. I was right in the middle of our session when our electricity went out.

Severe weather has caused power outages all over the Pacific Northwest. We got a tremendous amount of snow in one day and now trees have been breaking on roadways and power lines in and around our city. 

You can see the extent of the winter storm here: abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/storm-d … s.facebook.

I'm able to email you because I drove to a coffee shop to let you know about our situation. I took a chance driving in these conditions because the roads are so icy and dangerous right now. But, I wanted to let you know ASAP about what has happened.

I also called the power company from a payphone and they told me that at least 115 homes are without power and they are working to restore electricity in our homes. However, they may not be able to do so until Friday or Saturday. I will email you as soon as I can with more updates.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.[/i]

Today we completed another LCCI EfB writing task and we started watching Office Space. Later I had a Skype meeting with Thomas Luschen from Nashville who has been editing our forum posts. Thomas might record a video message for our Dresden group so they can get to know him too.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How long should I book the hotel?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello everyone, here is a video message from Thomas Luschen who has been editing your LCCI letters:

youtube.com/watch?v=kBKeNj30 … KfYln4X1Te

Please post the transcript below.

And here is the second video message by Thomas. Please post the transcript of that message too.
youtube.com/watch?v=4ngvnJwC … ture=youtu[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: When do you want to go to lunch?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Luschen,

How are you? Thank you for introducing your family to us.
I like to give you a short self-introduction. I’m 31 years old and I live in Freital. This is a small town next Dresden, the capitol of Saxony. Saxony is a federal state of Germany.
I’m interested in some sport activity, specially in playing (and watching) football, (I think you say soccer to it, right?), cycling, meeting friends and of course, speaking English every time when it’s possible for me. I trained as an carrier, so my background is in logistics.
I also like to thank you for your review of my writing-experiments. That’s very good of you. This forum is my first experience in using a forum. I’m very impressed of that way of communication.

Kinds regards

Mario

Hi Luschen and your assistant graders,

How are you?
This is a video message for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=oPnIX7xNCBs&feature

kind regards
Gabi, Torsten, Mario

P.S. Also regards from Katja. She wasn’t here today.

Hello Mario, Gabi and Katja,
I am so sorry about cutting our session short last week. Our home (as well as 230,000 other homes) lost power last week and into the weekend. That means that we were without heat, power and water until Sunday afternoon (my time). Ice covered trees fell, without warning, all over the place. It was somewhat traumatic because a limb fell on our car as we were driving back from the coffee shop, but we are OK and the damage to our vehicle is minimal.

Anyway, I am back online now and I'm looking forward to speaking with you all again very soon. I really love my job because I have the opportunity to speak with people from around the world. I enjoy our sessions and I'm impressed with how easily you acquire new information. You are all doing a great job and it is a pleasure to meet with you - even in the early morning hours here in the States.

Let me know if you have any questions and let’s talk soon.
Linda

Hi everyone,

On Tuesday morning at 8:15am please connect with Linda through Skype to do the next LCCI prep speaking session with her. I’ll probably be with you then too.

Many thanks,
Torsten

Also, please respond to this message by Luschen: youtube.com/watch?v=pk4V278p8p4[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where do we keep the expense vouchers?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi there,

I hope you enjoy our latest video - including two brand new “brothers”. A chance to learn what American kids are really like (or at least my kids!).

Luschen

Hello everyone

This morning we had our fourth speaking with Linda at 08.15 a.m.(MET).
What did we speak about?
We spoke about how to commute to work and what are the opportunities of public transport?
We all go by car to work. The distance is to far.
In addition to our speaking session, here is the transcript of our chattext:

Travel to work

[8:14:17 AM] Linda Mitchell: Hellood
[8:19:15 AM] Gabi Gagell: Good evening Linda.W
[8:19:30 AM] Linda Mitchell: Hi
[8:20:04 AM] Gabi Gagell: We are ready for the speaking session.
[8:20:38 AM] Linda Mitchell: OK. Great.
[8:20:55 AM] *** Call from Linda Mitchell ***
[8:24:53 AM] *** Linda Mitchell sent Traveling to Work.pptx ***
[8:28:30 AM] Linda Mitchell: race car - Rennwagen
[8:29:04 AM] Linda Mitchell: tow truck - Abschleppwagen
[8:29:45 AM] Linda Mitchell: If you have too many parking tickets, you might get towed.
[8:32:37 AM] Linda Mitchell: commute: going to and from work
[8:32:50 AM] Linda Mitchell: commute (verb) commute (noun)
[8:33:00 AM] Linda Mitchell: I commute to work by car/bus/train.
[8:33:10 AM] Linda Mitchell: My commute is about 25 minutes.
[8:33:51 AM] Linda Mitchell: I takes me about 1 hour and a half to commute to work.
[8:35:16 AM] Linda Mitchell: colleagues = coworkers
[8:36:49 AM] Linda Mitchell: designated areas
[8:38:37 AM] Linda Mitchell: standing-room: there aren’t any seats left
[8:41:24 AM] Linda Mitchell: packed: crowded; lots of people in one area
[8:42:15 AM] Linda Mitchell: membership - pass
[8:43:13 AM] Linda Mitchell: fare: usually a fee used in transportation situations eg) cab/taxi fare
[8:45:33 AM] Linda Mitchell: It would be better if more people used public transportation. There would be less cars on the roads and it is also cheaper than driving your own car.
[8:46:58 AM] Linda Mitchell: rush hour
[8:49:58 AM] Linda Mitchell: transportation website
[8:51:23 AM] Linda Mitchell: shuttle bus
[8:52:50 AM] Linda Mitchell: [8:50 AM] Torsten Daerr:

<<< dvb.de/en/Homepage/
[8:55:01 AM] Linda Mitchell: flexible
[8:55:31 AM] Linda Mitchell: Cars are very convenient.
[8:56:22 AM] Linda Mitchell: flexibility
[8:56:46 AM] Linda Mitchell: We have a good public transportation system.
[8:57:34 AM] Linda Mitchell: It’s faster than going on foot.
[8:58:03 AM] Linda Mitchell: keep fit
[8:59:01 AM] Linda Mitchell: If you take a bus during rush hour, it might be packed.
[8:59:48 AM] Linda Mitchell: If you get a bus pass, you can use shuttle buses from home to work and back.
[9:00:41 AM] Linda Mitchell: The fare for a monthly bus pass is cheaper than paying the daily fare.
[9:01:24 AM] Linda Mitchell: A bus stop is where people can get on and off buses.
[9:01:32 AM] Linda Mitchell: catch buses/trains
[9:02:31 AM] Linda Mitchell: If I go to work by bus, my bus comes by at about 7:15.
[9:03:07 AM] Linda Mitchell: Buses or trains are crowded when there are a lot of passengers in them.
[9:03:49 AM] Linda Mitchell: It takes me about 25 minutes to commute to work.
[9:04:12 AM] Linda Mitchell: Mario and Katja are my coworkers.
[9:05:20 AM] *** Call ended, duration 44:26 ***

kind regards

the indisofties

Hello everyone,

This is another video message from us to you. Here is the link: youtube.com/watch?v=YMPdVgzJLpk
We hope you will enjoy and understand it.
It’s in GermanEnglish. We are joking.

We hope to see and hear from you soon.

best regards

the indisofties