Kraków is a great place to visit

Hi,

We’ve recently spent a couple of days in Kraków, Poland and I must say I enjoyed our stay greatly as it’s a charming city with a beautiful architecture. The “Old Town” with its Jewish district consists almost exclusively of historic buildings. However, what made the city even more attractive to us was the fact that the people there are very relaxed and friendly. In all the places we visited (and those were quite a few) we met friendly people. Whenever we asked for directions, people were genuinely interested in helping us – it seemed they were proud that were visiting their city.

Maybe this is because Kraków is not (yet) as overcrowed by tourists as other places. For example, the first time we asked for directions was in the city center late at night and a group of three young people told us how to find our hotel. At the beginning we tried to speak Polish but they looked at our number plates and then continued to explain everything in German. Interestingly enough almost everyone we met also spoke fluent English.

Have you had any similar experiences – I mean, have you visited a city where the people seemed to be more friendly than in your hometown? If so, why do you think you had that impression?

I think Toronto is much friendlier than any large US city, but I can’t exactly tell you why. The people are helpful and not very suspicious of strangers. I think part of the difference is that US cities usually have a relatively large class of people who are predatory in some way, and Canada lacks most of that. Therefore, people don’t have to be as worried about crime, etc.

1 Like

I just went outside to smoke a cigarette, and immediately outside the exit door was a homeless man who asked me for money. Not wanting to be bothered, I told him that I wasn’t carrying cash (the truth), at which point I began walking down the sidewalk to go back into the office through a different door. As I walked away, he hollered that I was a liar and that I should get a job as a liar.

I yelled back over my shoulder that it was not my responsibility to pay his way in life (or something of the sort).

I feel a bit badly for saying anything at all, but gosh damn, it’s no wonder the guy is homeless… with the attitude that he has a right to my wallet.

I should have said, “I might have a job as a liar, but at least i’d be working.”

hehe

that would have been witty

1 Like

darn it

i might have said that i was just out to smoke, that i didn’t have cash on hand, and that i did not have time (because i’m still at work) to go get him something to eat. It all just happened so fast.

1 Like

You’re too good. All I usually say to homeless people is say “sorry” whenever they ask a question until they walk away. I can’t say that “sorry” is not a lie, but it works :wink:

1 Like

I am usually saying I never would give any money anybody my friend.
(We both know this is an alcohol and drugs envolved.)
If you have a feeling it is always nice to help but not everyday is convinient for such move he he.

Everywere worldwide we may meet some friendly souls ,no problem, it doesn’t matter if same people may couse a lot of trouble to us under a bit different circumstances.
Jan

1 Like