Keep up with whom he's talking about

Hi

He has a wide circle of acquaintances, so I can never keep up with whom he’s talking about.

I read the example sentence about “keep up with” as above from Naver dictionary in Korea.
So, when inspecting a translation in Korean, “KEEP UP WITH whom he’s talking about” means “to learn about SOMEBODY”.

However, when I looked up the phrasal verb in the Oxofrd dictionary [as in the link below], “KEEP UP WITH SOMETHING” is used to express “to learn about or be aware of the news, current events, etc.”.

However, “KEEP UP WITH SOMEBODY” means “to continue to be in contact with somebody”
Furthermore, “KEEP UP WITH SOMEBODY” means “to prevent somebody from going to bed”
and “KEEP UP (WITH SOMEBODY/SOMETHING)” means “to move, make progress or increase at the same rate as somebody/something”

So, I don’t think these meanings are used in the example sentence.

Nevertheless, do you reckon “KEEP UP WITH SOMEBODY” can be used in order to express “to learn about SOMEBODY”?
Or should the example sentence be corrected like this?

He has a wide circle of acquaintances, so I can never tell whom he’s talking about.
He has a wide circle of acquaintances, so I can never be aware of whom he’s talking about.

2 Likes

In this sentence it means that the person is talking about large numbers of people. So the listener doesn’t know which person is being talked about. So the listener gets confused.

“KEEP UP (WITH SOMEBODY/SOMETHING)” means “to move, make progress or increase at the same rate as somebody/something”

This is the closest to the meaning in the original sentence. In this case the “rate” would be the number of people being spoken about.

“Rate” is often stated in quantity per time.
For example:
Km per hour ( km / hr)
Typing words per minute

If someone drives 100 km / hr, then to keep up with them means you can also drive 100 km / hr.

In the original sentence, the person might talk about 25 people in an hour. If you are not able to remember all those people, then you are not able to keep up with them.

3 Likes