Just be a doll

" Could you just be a doll and do it for me?"

My dictionary says; “this means “Would you do me a favour?”
but you should be carefull to use this as this is a slang.”

But no explanation how I should be careful.
Could you explain the difference b/w them?

Thank you.

‘Could you just be a doll’ would only be said by a male to a female (the doll), and many women (including me) would object to being called ‘a doll’.

It is a throwback to a less liberated era.

So women cannot use this? Only men to women?

On reflection I suppose women could use it, and possibly even use it to men. But would you like being called a ‘doll’?

Men should definitely not use it to other men!

“doll” here implys that a person who has no opinions and never talk back, right?
So this is a kind of very rude way of asking someone to do things?

A doll may be a helpful or obliging person.
Courtesy of thefreedictionary.com/doll

“Slang a pretty girl or woman of little intelligence

This dictionary is so funny!!
I like that! LOL

Hi,

I rather like the word ‘doll’ but I regard it as a term of endearment.

Alan

Hi Alan

I like the word too.
I think it’s kinda compliment if someone called me a doll.
It’s cute!!
Isn’t it a bit over reaction to take it as an insult?
Only some feminists could feel that way.

Hi Pooh,

There you go!

Alan

I'm not that much of a feminist. However, I admit I also object to being called 'babe', 'honey', or even 'dear' by anyone who I regard as not being a particularly close acquaintance.

The term ‘doll’ alone, when used as a term of endearment may be acceptable in the right context, 'but ‘just be a doll and do it for me’ is not one of those contexts, as far as I’m concerned. If I did something out of the kindness of my heart and then, when the person discovered I had done so, they said ‘Oh, what a doll! Thank you’ that would sit with me a lot easier than use of the word to coerce or persuade me to do it in the first place.

‘Doll’, particularly, has connotations of being an unintelligent plaything, as Pooh has discovered. When used by someone one doesn’t know well, it appears to be on the same level as ‘bimbo’.

Okay, Rant-of-a-modern-woman over. I’ll put my soap-box away. Thankfully I didn’t feel passionate enough about the subject to burn my bra which remains safely in place*!

*I wondered whether I ought to explain the last sentence or whether everyone knew the myth of the bra burning feminists of the late 1950s and early 1960s, who are alleged to have literally burned bras as a symbol of their equality with men. Hopefully that is enough of an explanation!

Well it sounds like that “doll” is a bit sensitive word to most English speaking people. To me, or maybe to most Japanese, it just repesents something lovable, cute and pretty. There’s nothing against it. When I see the tendency that some English words have been being changed to be more gender free, like fireman became firefighter or salesman became salesperson something like that. I just feel something is wrong with that. I don’t know if it’s just me or some other people though. Those things seem nothing to do with gender equality. But… OK I should be very careful when I use the word. :slight_smile:

Good. I wasn’t suggesting you never used it, but I just wanted you to be aware of the possibility that it might not be appreciated.

Hi Bev,

Interesting that you say:

when your mantra is:

Alan

True, though I suspect that you are as familiar with the original catchphrase as I am. It was before my time and may well be before yours, but it seems to be common knowledge. Maybe I should change it and be consistent…

Maybe not, why change the inconsistencies of a lifetime? :wink: