Jebberwocky & parts of speech

Hi everyone!

I am having really hard time figuring out the right answer. Every time I try to figure out the correct parts of speech that this poems belong to, I end up finding all the options wrong. I appreciate your help.

choose the parts of speech categorization that most likely fits the gibberish words from the poem.
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Choose one answer.
a. Brillig, raths, and wabe are likely verbs.
b. Gyre, gimble, and borogoves are likely verbs
c. Brillig, borogoves, mimsy and slithy are likely nouns.
d. Mimsy, slithy, and mome are likely adjectives.

This is a wonderful exercise. Here are a few hints. “The” almost always comes before a noun or an adjective noun combination. Did usually comes before a verb. Adjectives usually come right before the nouns they describe.

Thank you Luschen for taking the time and reply to my post. I did a lot of thinking, and I think the correct
answer is d. Do you agree?

You seem to have thought really well. I agree.

Twas brillig color=blue, and the slithy color=blue toves color=blue
Did gyre color=blue and gimble color=blue in the wabe color=blue:
All mimsy color=blue were the borogoves color=blue,
And the mome color=blue raths color=blue outgrabe color=blue.

A wonderful exercise indeed - I’ll be introducing it immediately to my English class!

How does this exercise relate to a ‘real life’ situation?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Checking the plans[YSaerTTEW443543]

I think it would help in learning how to use context clues to figure out the meaning of new words. The first step in doing that is being able to figure out what part of speech the unknown word is based on where it is in the sentence.

You can accomplish this with pretty much any article or piece of text.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A woman wearing a headset[YSaerTTEW443543]

Only if the text were gobbledigook. The beauty of using this extract from ‘Jabberwocky’ is that you cannot get any clues from the words themselves. The reader has to understand the technical aspects of each part of speech.

Thank you all. That really helped me.