It's very hot: It's scorching

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 [color=blue]“Weather Test (5)”, question 9

When the temperatures are really high and it’s very hot outside, people often say that it’s .

(a) brewing
(b) scorching
(c) smoking

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #118 [color=blue]“Weather Test (5)”, answer 9

When the temperatures are really high and it’s very hot outside, people often say that it’s scorching.

Correct answer: (b) scorching
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi,
Any one can explain what is meant by brewing and Scorching?

When it’s very hot you can say that it’s scorching. As for brewing, it doesn’t make any sense in this context.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Airport employee is announcing flight delays through loudspeaker system[YSaerTTEW443543]

In my opinion anyone’s first port of call for learning the meanings of words should be a dictionary.

oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries … ing#brew_1

oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries … /scorching

We can also explain the meanings of words and phrases here on the forum.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Restaurant employee is promoting dinner specials[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes, but that doesn’t facilitate independence, and as independent learning is the desirable outcome I think the first option should be a dictionary. If the dictionary definition is not clear, then that’s the time to ask someone else.

I am always impressed by people who attempt to find out for themselves.

Me too. But then again I’m also always impressed by anyone who finds our site through web, goes through the process of registering on the forum and posts their question hoping somebody will answer.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Car dealer is promoting used cars through a radio commercial[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten,

we really appreciate it.
Thanks for the attention. :slight_smile: