It's pen pals for the internet generation.?

Englishuser, that’s OK.
I’m not a pouter (or what word do you use for a person who easily takes offences?)
I’d even say that it’s a bit difficult task to make me actually feel offended. :slight_smile:

I completely agree with your (fresh (:wink: ) idea about dictionaries. Thank you for your thought! :slight_smile:

Tamara

Hi Tamara

Just out of curiosity, how does your MS Word “feel” about the word “internet” (without the capital ‘I’)? Have you checked? :lol:

There are a number of other publications in addition to Wired News that have adopted the non-capitalized spelling. Personally, I think it’s only a matter of time before even the dictionaries decide that saying “the internet” is no different from saying “the phone company”. :mrgreen:

Amy

Hi Yankee,

You wrote:

Do you really think so? The Internet was actually spelt ‘the internet’ in the past. Nowadays, the old spelling seems rather out of fashion.

Englishuser

Hi Amy :slight_smile:

As I usually write my ‘posts’ using MS Word (before posting), I don’t need to check it specially.

The answer is: “my” :slight_smile: MS Word becomes green :slight_smile: and politely suggests the capitalised version.

Hi Tamara,

You said:

That’s the version we should stick to, in my opinion.

Englishuser

I’m quite sure that the majority of people treat the internet like any other noun and at some point this will become the standard. It’s similar to the spelling of the word email. At the beginning, most dictionaries suggested ‘e-mail’ or ‘E-mail’ (and probably still do) but most people simple write ‘email’ as one word because it’s faster and makes more sense. Remember that it’s the majority of users of a language who make the rules not just some linguists. The latter only analyze the language as it is used and update the rules accordingly.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the garden[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

You said:

According to most dictionaries, ‘email’ and ‘e-mail’ are both equally correct. Some people still prefer ‘e-mail’ as it seems more proper to them. Either way, I think the most important thing is to be as consistent as possible in one’s writing. If you capitalise Internet in the first paragraph of a text you should do so in the second paragraph as well.

Englishuser

In addition, I predict internet will simply not be able to logically remain capitalized. Even today you find definitions of “the Internet” such as this:

(Note: capital “I”). The Internet is the largest internet (with a small “i”) in the world.

I can easily imagine additional large internets in the future: internet II, internet III, internet IV, etc. That’s not really any different from saying channel 2, channel 3, channel 4 (TV stations).

Amy

Hi Amy,

I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see what future has in store for us.

Englishuser

Morning! :slight_smile:

[size=134]Internet2[/size] @Wikipedia
:slight_smile: [size=75](just a joke)[/size]

By the way, yesterday I had an opportunity to see using internet in the ‘creeping line’ of the BBC News on TV.
Used (in the context) exacty the same as ‘email’ or ‘phone’.

I don’t know whether it’s a heavy argument (albeit I’m aware of the dictionary meaning of the word ‘argument’ :))
It’s just a fact :slight_smile: