Issues (but the problem is...!)

Hi there and especially Bloodbrother `Fighting Student? :wink:

Spencer, last night I was to tired to talk to you, sorry! :frowning:

It?s a right issue with the problems, isn?t it? I think Torsten and Amy are right when they refer to the negative influence that the word problem often has. I mean problems mostly means difficulties and difficulties means a lot of costs and times, particularly in the buisiness- and technical world. It also depends on the sight of the single person if he/she has problems or issues, challenges or opportunities or what ever. And problems are often difficult to handle too.

Please let me add an experience that I have from my own profession:
Working as the one constructor at a steel-construction-manufactory one of my challenges had been to design the ideas of technical calculations and the wishes of the customers in drawings. The same time I had to explain the work-plans to the workers. Doing that there often occurs that points in the drawings aren?t easily understandable. There are quite often misunderstandings between construction and manufacturing in general. When I started work as a constructor happend the following: As the occupators of the company were accustomed to do their work without getting explanations they looked at me as a smart one too, who always give instructions without explanations and the workers felt used to speak about problems if there were an indistinctness to make clear. As they spoke about a problem it always had been difficult to explain even the smallest indistinctness because the worker defended always their point of view. It took me some more month to achieve a state of reliance between me and the other occupators. Later they didn?t have any more problems but issues or challenges and weren?t sceptically any more, although they were critically in spite. And that was all right. Can you imagine how the atmosphere between the other occupators and me change. I?m used to say that it was more pleasant to work there at last. :roll:

Michael

Hi Michael,
It’s all right, my friend, sometimes even identical twins arguing with each other. I’m not a boss of anyone, there was only one year in my life when some people were working for me, but in the contruction there is no time to chating around. I mean, you guys know a lot more about leading a team, I only tell my own reaction if someone decided to try to effect me this way, and I realised his intention. I’d feel like manipulated instead of convinced.
It upsets me, and resultes the opposite than it’s supposed to.
Anyway, I’ve got to go,I’m gonna take my daughter to the zoo,
Take care,
Spencer

Please don’t feel picked on, my dear Magyar friend. This is not meant as a correction (well, OK, it is one, too!), but rather as a good example of words that are often mixed up by native speakers of English. Great, now it sounds as if I’m criticizing them!

What interests me is to compare the spelling mistakes made by natives to those made by ESL/EFL learners. The reasons for these differences are also interesting. Why are many of these words not confused by (foreign) students of English? Probably because, in some cases, their pronunciation is nearer to the spelling – sometimes correctly so –, because the words in question exist in (or even come from) their own language or simply because they are studying the language.

Here are a few more commonly confused pairs:

Accept/except
Complement/compliment
Conscious/conscience
Idea/ideal
Miner/minor
Principal/principle
Stationary/stationery
Story/storey

Sorry for this off-topic post.

Hi Conchita,
Actually it wasn’t really a spelling mistake I think, because what I wanted to say is: “to have an effect on me this way” I only thought “to effect something” is the right way to say it, ( looks like I was wrong though).
Anyway, whenever you notice any mistake of mine, please forget about being polite,and don’t let me get away with it.
Thanks
Spencer

One little thing though:
You wrote: my Magyar friend
In my language, in case of an adjective we don’t use capital.
It’s not a big deal,but I thought you might be interested.