Is this question correct: "What did they used to make?"

Hello friends,

Few years ago I came across this in a comic strip.I don’t think it’s grammatically correct, but would like you all to check this out:

“What did they used to make?”

Assuming ‘used to’ denotes customary/frequent re/action ( as in " I’m used to that.") can it be used in presence of another past tense - ‘did’ - in same sentence?

Another request is for clear rules if any for the use of “compared to” or “compared with”.

Another:

"I heard you the first time. "

I’d like to know where should the stress be, on ’ heard’, or on ’ first’, always assuming this is said sarcastically ; or come to think of it, is it always spoken with sarcasm, or exasperation or similar feeling/s too can be denoted here?

Lastly, to lighten things up a bit, this:

Me And You are Friends.
You Smile, I Smile.
You Hurt, I Hurt.
You Cry, I Cry.
You Jump Off A Bridge…
I’m Gonna Miss Your E-Mails :wink:

Satish.

What used you to make? – formal, esp BrE
What did they use to make? – informal
What did they used to make? – alternate spelling, frowned on my some.

Compare to = suggest or state a similarity.
Compare with = examine or set forth the details of a supposed similarity.

These are Fowler’s distinctions, which I doubt are worth following these days.

I heard you the first time.-- Yes, usually with exasperation, I think.

Thank you , Sir, for taking up my query.

Any more inputs from those listening in? I’ll be grateful for further elaboration.Thank you in advance, for your time.

One more:

" When one analyses some of the several analyses that have been offered… "

Until it dawned on me that the two " analyses " peacefully co-existing in this sentence were,respectively , third person singular of the verb ‘analyse’, and , plural of the noun ‘analysis’ (from the same verb) , this statement had me stumped. Remarkable, isn’t it?

The question is, are there any more instances of this type of similar verb-forms/nouns/adjectives in English? If yes, are they sufficient in number for being grouped under a particular name,and if so, what’s it called?
Your turn,

Satish.

They are stress homographs, and there are a lot of them in English. More information here: [url]http://www.marlodge.supanet.com/wordlist/homogrph.html[/url].

My, that was quick, Sir.

Thanks a lot, again.

Satish.

" Unknown, I know ; but… unknowable ? "

Hello, it’s me again.

Another day, another doubt…

About the verb " to market" ,which is usually used to mean:

to

(1) engage in commerce, sale etc.,
(2) buy household supplies etc., and
(3) Deal in a market.

Would it be correct to use it in all three senses, i.e . sale &/or buy ? Did it originally mean that way, or has popular usage over time expanded its meaning?

Thank you for your time,

Satish.

Good marketing involves maintaining in the customer’s mind the delusion that the buying decision was entirely his own.

Hello all,

What’s correct here ? Is it :

…me neither / neither me , or

…nor me, or

…not me either ?

Another of those slippery customers:

Is it 'economic ’ , or ‘economical’ ?

Apart from the context, which may not always be clear, any other fool-proof way to choose?

Satish.

" The concept of Gross National Product has always been just that : too gross for some highly refined intellects, as in this room ."