It should be " I don’t have car."

Hi Mishy,

How about I don’t have a car or I have no car?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The presentation[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thanks, Torste…

Hi!

How about I don?t have any clue/car? :roll:

Michael

“I can’t do nothin’ for no one if I ain’t got no clue where I’m at in the first place.” 8)

I haven’t got a car is another option – and the one I would use (though I’d like to be able to say ‘ain’t got no…’).

Believe it or not, Michael, your example set me thinking :o ! If the sentence ‘I don’t have any clue/car’ is grammatically correct, then why do we normally say ‘I don’t have (or: haven’t got) a clue/car/house’. Is it because we often only have one of each item (if at all)? Now, instead of ‘I haven’t got an apple/a book/jewel’, we’d usually say ‘I haven’t got any apples/books/jewels’.

I hope I’m not too far wrong!

Hi,

I haven’t got any/I don’t have any really needs to be followed by an uncountable noun or plural nouns. I don’t have any money or I don’t have any coins.

I haven’t got a clue/I don’t have a clue I haven’t got any clues/any ideas.

Alan

There’s nobody like Alan for setting us on the right track.

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed your cruise! :slight_smile:

Hi Conchita,

Yes, we did enjoy the cruise, thank you. It’s certainly improved my geography of the Baltic States. All our guides spoke excellent English and I quelled the teacher element in me by not pointing out any errors. Mind you, it’s hard work being a tourist and those young women in Russia didn’t stand for any malingerers as they whisked us through the palaces in St Petersburg. I think probably the most moving trip was the one to Klaipeda in Lithuania. Our guide was like a dog with two tails as she showed us round the area and we heard about her country’s struggle to cope with economic problems. I think the whole coach load felt quite touched as she thanked us for coming to her country and kept saying: I’m so happy! I gave her a quick note about the site in the hope she might log on but she seemed a lttle doubtful about getting internet access although her son might be able to. Who knows?

Alan

It goes without saying that it’s non-standard English but I know that such kinds of expressions( I’d say containing pleonasms) are peculiar to common language (low colloquial) and are grouped under the notion “double negation or negative” (If I’m correct)

Ex. Don’t give me no riddle.
Don’t bring no discussion of politics

Let me know what do you think about this.

Hi all,

Please read:

A: How will you get there? You have no car!
B: Actually, I don’t have no car - I just don’t have a working car, but it’ll be repaired by next week…

Quoc

Hi Quoc,

I fear your mini dialogue is gibberish:

Alan

Please fix the mistakes

Totally agree with Alan. Contradictions and contradictions :smiley:

Hi Quoc,

How is it possible to, as you naively ask, to fix the mistakes when what you have written makes no sense, has no logic and is as I have said gibberish?

Alan

Well, I think I understand what Quoc is getting at…
Quoc, in your example it would be MUCH better and MUCH more understandable to say something like this:

It isn’t exactly true that I have “no car” at all. I do own a car. It just isn’t working at the moment. So, what I mean is that I have no access to a car that runs.

Trying to use “I don’t have no car” to mean “I have a car.” is a bad idea because the double negative in this short little sentence would typically NOT be understood as a way to create a positive idea. :?

Hi,

Sure. A complete rewrite, yes but then not to forget that a certain articulate comment about double negatives by our same correspondent has mysteriously been deleted!

Alan

Hmmm… I guess I must have missed that. :?

Yes, so have I. And now we’ll never know what it said. It’s not fair (pouting)!