Is the sentence ambiguous?

“Shortly before I resumed work during my hospitalisation leave in February 2016, I tripped and fell down on the road at a car park.”

Is the above sentence clear or ambiguous?

Please elaborate on your reply? If not, please explain what it means.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this part. How can you resume work while being hospitalized?

1 Like

Thanks, Torsten.

The sentence is not mine. I got it from a magazine.

I find the sentence unclear and ambiguous, which is the reason for this post. I am even more puzzled when a friend of mine told me that the sentence is OK.

2 Likes

In this case I would ask your friend to explain what the sentence means in his own words. Maybe he just interprets it in a certain way. Would it be possible to bring your friend on the forum here?

1 Like

According to my friend, the writer fell down during his stay in the hospital, and that was a few days before he resumed work. (Do you think his explanation makes sense?)

2 Likes

I suggest - Shortly before I went back to work while I was off sick, I tripped and fell over in the road by a car park.

3 Likes

Thanks, Alan, for your suggestion.

Could you let me know if the original sentence is ambiguous or I was unable to understand the meaning of the sentence due to the fact my English is not good enough?

2 Likes

The sentence is very ambiguous because of the phrase ‘I resumed work during my hospitalisation’ which doesn’t make any sense.

2 Likes