Is the following paragraph correct?

Is the following sentence correct?

Your Suggestions for Our Authoring Tool
In this forum you can discuss your suggestions about our authoring tool. The top suggestions will be welcomed.

Well, somebody that use English more than me can help you better, but I think you must replace ‘‘top’’ with ‘‘best’’ because you want to tell people that if they give enough good suggestion, they will get the chance their suggestion to be accepted.
That is what you want to say, right?

I don’t know, I may be wrong.

“discuss your suggestions about our authoring tool” seems slightly vague. Do you mean suggestions about how to improve it? Tips on how to use it?

There is something not exactly right about “The top suggestions will be welcomed”. “top suggestions” is OK in itself, but it sounds as if suggestions other than those you judge to be the best are not welcome, which I doubt is really what you mean. “All suggestions will be welcomed” is more encouraging to forum participants (the exclusion of obviously disruptive or stupid suggestions is taken for granted). Or “The top suggestions will be considered for inclusion in the product” would make sense (which is kind of what Ivkata was saying) but I’m not sure if that’s what you want to say.

I mean suggestions about how to improve it.

In that case I think it would be clearer to explicitly say so.

Hi Ivak!
what I learn t from the TOEFL long years ago, we can’t use ‘that’ instead of ‘Who/Whom’ about somebody!
Yes, you can use when you don’t respect someone, like–Oh! that man did it again!

If you need to know more, please go to Cliff’s TOEFL suggestion for further now.

The use of the relative pronoun “that” to refer to people (in expressions such as “somebody that uses English”) is widespread. There are differences of opinion about its acceptability. My view is that it is not an egregious error in informal English, but “who” is a better and more polished choice, especially in formal contexts.

The use of “that” in “that man”, for example, is grammatically different, and there is no question about its correctness. It is not inherently disrespectful, but it can be used in disrespectful contexts.

I can’t see ‘who’ as a more ‘polished’ pronoun than ‘that’. Where does that thought come from?

Alan

A few minutes’ Google research suggests that most sources do not particularly support the idea that “that” is inferior when referring to people (though several, such as oxforddictionaries.com/definition/that?q=that , mention that the belief exists). A couple say that “who” is more formal, or is better in formal contexts. To me, “somebody who uses English” definitely sounds more polished than “somebody that uses English”, but I guess not everyone agrees.

Thanks Dozy!

Exactly you said what I wanted to imply!

In addition, I expect more explanation regarding ‘That’ usages for person meaning instead things- specially from the USA natives.

Of course, educated natives are more conscious regarding modern trends of English language, though our Dhaka University(used to say,east Oxford university in Indian continent!) English department’s many famous teachers used to write “that” as a negative attitude towards persons, those(teachers) were from the Oxford university in England.

Whatever you say, I am not a pedantic one in grammar, but very much like to know the
exact grammar and its trend, and so does ETN, I hope.

I’m wondering if there still may be confusion here between two completely different uses of “that”.

When used as a relative pronoun, as in “somebody that uses English”, there is no suggestion, as far as I know, that “that” conveys a negative attitude. Some people think it is more informal and less polished than “who”, but that is all.

When used as a determiner, as in “that man”, it may help to convey a negative attitude, but this is entirely dependent on the rest of the sentence, and on the overall context. Sometimes it is completely neutral.

Thanks Dozy, no confusion, but I want to see the more reaction, from there a truth will come out, nothing else.

You might have already understood it. I follow the Norman Lewis(USA) teaching style as I like him very much! Recently, I have been considering to tech the professional
people in Dhaka though I did it at different centers in Farm gate(Dhaka’s commercial hub for teaching English!). I had a package program with Dhaka’s British council teaching center in 1999.

Unfortunately, that time Dhaka’s market was not so spread as like now.I felt scare and dropped out the program. I can still remember Dhaka’s B.C. teaching center head was Ms. Clare Jeff. We had several official correspondence between us and conversation over phones. But I didn’t forward on.

Time has changed, I consider this now more professional ways. Interesting is by this time I just forgot 2,000 high frequency vocabularies from SAT-1,without just knack or practicing with English language last 10 years!

Yes, I make thanks to ETN as they have made such a wonderful venues to discuss about English language freely and also has given me a chance to exchange views.

[size=150]
Your Suggestions for Our Authoring Tool
In this forum you can discuss your suggestions about our authoring tool. The top suggestions will be welcomed.
[/size]

[color=blue]Of course I welcome this idea and I myself have many suggestions into how developing our language and I suggest to establish other fields or branches other than the fixed subjects or fields for example literarey and linguistics or semantics.
I show the forum only deals with grammer, yes the grammer is butter and the bread of the language , also I hope if it is possible to discuss the origin of some vocabularies and how those vocabularies developed by time.
Yes the question about how to speake & how to use the words , how to put the word in correct grammatical sentence is the impotant way for beginners.
At last I welcome to each idea or proposals dealing with developing the forum and you will find me the first participant.
Thank to all

The two ‘thats’ are, let’s not please confuse the issue, different beasts. One is a relative pronoun and the other is a demonstrative adjective. Merging the two in one explanation is really not a good idea.

I see that sounds much good now.

Alan, why don’t you place more examples in this regard that might clear to everybody.