Is or was... in this example

By reading the sentence below, is it better to use “is” or “was” in the “until he __” part.

What would be the difference? Do both work or only one does? Is the context sufficient?

“Perceiving that he was still too young to fight the evil that had risen, his soul was kept safe by one of the keepers of the sacred realm, until he __ old enough to stand against such threat.”

Thanks.

3 Likes

Since the entire sentence describes a complex event in the past you can use either ‘was’ or ‘would be’ while ‘is’ doesn’t work.

4 Likes

I agree “is” would be out of place.

3 Likes

However “is” is possible but you’d have to change the entire sentence like this:

“Perceiving that he is still too young to fight the evil that has risen, his soul will be kept safe by one of the keepers of the sacred realm, until he is old enough to stand against such threat.”

3 Likes

Interesting, I was indeed wondering if changing the verb in the first sentence would work for the “is” in the next.

Thanks Torsten and Masme.

3 Likes

Ofcourse this works too:

“Perceiving that he is still too young to fight the evil that has risen, his soul is kept safe by one of the keepers of the sacred realm, until he is old enough to stand against such threat.”

But I would say in a more formal or even poetic sense. Are you a fan of Lord of the Rings, by any chance?

3 Likes