Is 'on the morning' OK?

I’ve got two questions for the quote.

1. In the morning would be more familiar to me, but which could also mean tomorrow morning, am I right? Anyway, is on the morning OK too and what is the best?
  2. …the day that… = the day when?

Thank you.

P.S. The quote is from War and Peace

Hi Haihao

When you have a construction such as ‘morning of the day’, the preposition follows the “rule” for the word ‘day’:
on the day, on Tuesday, on November 16th, on Christmas Eve, etc.

Without using this particular construction, you’d say ‘in the morning’.

Yes, in context, saying ‘in the morning’ could be used to mean ‘tomorrow morning’:

Good night. See you in the morning.

You can sometimes replace ‘the day that’ with ‘the day when’. Did you have a specific sentence in mind?

Amy

Hi Amy,

Thank you again. Now the 1st question is made very clear to me. As for the 2nd, it was also from the quoted sentence. In fact, I had just come across it now and fancied afterwards if they were ‘old English’. :slight_smile:

haihao

Hi Haihao

You could possibly use ‘when’ in that sentence, but that would not be my preference.

Amy

The use of ‘when’ in the sentence would specify that the young couple’s arrival was scheduled or expected for the morning of the day in qusetion. In the actual sentence used in the book, the author simply identifies the day as being the one in which the couple were to arrive and then focuses in on events occuring during the morning of that same day.

The use of ‘when’ in the sentence would specify that the young couple’s arrival was scheduled or expected for the morning of the day in qusetion. In the actual sentence used in the book, the author simply identifies the day as being the one in which the couple were to arrive and then focuses in on events occuring during the morning of that same day.