Is my voice really that bad and boring?

Hi everyone,

I had a very upsetting conversation with one american on skype the other day and I still can’t get his words out of my head. More in the voice message.

Some more details.

You are very softly spoken and there is not a great deal of contrast in your voice, but you are easily understandable and that is what counts when it comes to any test of speaking ability.
I stand by what I said in this thread.

Don’t let the crass comments of one individual put you off or worry you.

Wow I can’t even recognize myself there haha… Feels like it’s been ages since that recording.

What worries me the most however is not the test but the real life. I’m preparing for college and I don’t want people to assume I’m not well or retarded just because of this voice.

They won’t!

Hi Enhancer, I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with one of my fellow Americans. Your speech sounds perfectly fine to me - please ignore that “Debby Downer”. It would be great to talk to you on Skype. My Skype id is thomas.luschen. If you see that I am online, send me a message and I would love to talk with you.

I wouldn’t pay any mind to what that person said about your accent.
Clearly he’s not very kind and friendly and maybe he’s even zenophobic. America is huge and there are people in America who do not cotton to foreigners, like in any country. You just have to be careful to avoid such people and ignore their negative biased opinions.

If you want to improve on your accent, here’s a good chart of vowel and consonant sounds with explanations:

rachelsenglish.com/sound_chart

Like yourself I’m studying the US accent (the standard North American kind), and I find it very helpful and use it when I forget how to pronounce a particular vowel or consonant.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Go on guys

Thanks for responding everybody. I’m glad that it’s not as bad as he said. Although, I realize it’s not the most exciting voice either hehe.

Luschen, appreciate your help, I’ve added you.

Our Tort System thanks, but I’ve given up on the idea of trying to have a perfect american accent (my old message in the link posted by beesneees is 2 years old.)

Speakingclearly

Your recording is quite distorted, but I got your point. Thanks for the good words, however I’m not hoping to pass off as an american (at least not anymore), and it just happens their accent was the one I followed and listened the most.

I’m hearing you, man!
While it’s true that one cannot hope to achive the purity of speech native speakers have (unless you have a flair for accents, which I don’t), foreign speakers can always improve.
I know I won’t sound American, I will always have a tinge of an accent in my voice and I’ll have to live with that, BUT there’s always room for improvement. And it’s up to me to improve on my accent by puttin in many hours of practice. Hehe.
And at least in my book it’s very rewarding when you know you make (no matter how small) improvements in the areas that matter most to you.