Is my accent similar to that of a native from North America?

Hi there, I have lived in Canada and recently somebody who grew up in there told me it isn’t obvious that I’m not from Toronto (or any other English place in Canada) based on my accent.
If you are a native speaker, can you listen to this brief audio I have just recorded?
Thank you

2 Likes

I’m a native speaker (American).

I assume you want an honest answer. It’s obvious that you are not a native speaker. It’s also obvious that the accent you are going for is an American/Canadian accent, as opposed to British or Australian accent.

So you do have the American part right, but your native accent still comes through. I’m pretty bad at guessing accents, but I’ll guess European, maybe eastern Europe.

The giveaways are the vowels, pitch and pacing. Toward the very end when you spoke more quickly, the accent was less obvious. It flowed more naturally, rather than a more controlled pacing.

3 Likes

Hello @Ioha. Welcome to our forum and thank you for sharing your recording with us. Can you please tell me why you want to know how similar you sound to a native speaker?

2 Likes

I find it more beautiful

3 Likes