Is “get a hearing" a fixed expression?

Hello everyone

I have a problem with the question below. I chose B while the answer is D. I’d like to know is “get a hearing” a fixed expression and what does it mean? I searched it on Bing, but there wasn’t any helpful result came forth. Thanks in advance.

A chairman should ensure that all participants have an opportunity to express their point of view. Ensuing that everyone gets a(n) … will almost certainly involve stopping someone from dominating the processing.

A listening B attention C notice D hearing

btw, please feel free to correct any mistake in my post.

Best regards

1 Like

Quite frankly I’m not sure what exactly the correct answer is supposed to be. Also, I think it should read ‘… from dominating the process’ instead of ‘the processing’. Our of interest, where did you find this exercise? Who wrote it? Many thanks

1 Like

To make sense, the correct answer would be ‘get a hearing’. That means everyone has the opportunity for their comments/statements to be heard/listened to. As Torsten says, ‘process’ is the right word.

3 Likes

Hearing, particularly in legal parlance, involves listening to the speaker, paying attention and taking notice of the matter.
‘To be heard’ is one of the universal principles of natural justice.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, everyone.

It’s a question from the Cambridge Business English preparation material I brought from a local on-line retailer. I don’t know who wrote this exact artical. I think the author of the book is Guy Book-Hart. The artical was probably cited from a website called “meetingwizard”.

As for the “processing”, I’m sorry that I have made a mistake. It’s “proceedings” actually.

1 Like

On our site you will find tens of thousands of questions like the one you have posted. Why not use them to test and practise your English? They are interactive which means you immediately see if your answer was right and you can ask for a more detailed explanation here on the forum any time. Here is an example: Real Life: Banking (1) - English Test | english.best

My Answer is also D, Listening is different from hearing. Listening means one person alone listening the point, when it is heard, it is supposed to hear from everyone, I feel. If my answer is not correct, please ignore it.

1 Like

Many thanks for the suggestion, Torsten. I’ll get the business vocalbuary tests in your link the minute I figure out how to use Paypal. I believe it won’t take too long. We mainly use Alipay (or the wallet function of Wechat) to pay the money over here, which is an equivalent of Paypal.

1 Like

Thanks, Shanthisethuraman. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds great. However, before you purchase the tests in PDF form you can use them for free as interactive exercises on our site. Are you aware of that?

As for Alipay, we are planning to add this payment method to our shop as well as a sign-up feature via WeChat. The problem is that in order to connect to WeChat I need a WeChat user from mainland China who vouches for me (verification process). Can you help me with this?