Is 'assessment center' a German term?

It seems to me that the term ‘assessment center’ is primarily used by Germans in Germany. Is the term popular outside of Germany too?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A boat on the water[YSaerTTEW443543]

“assessment center” (or “centre” as I would spell it) sounds fine to me. Typically it would be a place where people are tested to see whether they have certain abilities or qualities.

However the first two Google hits I happened to look at say that an assessment centre is “an extended period of interviews” and “an all day event (or longer) which forms part of the latter stages of a company’s recruitment procedure”. This sounds weird to me. To me, the “centre” would be the place where these events are held, not the events themselves…

Hi Dozy, this is exactly what I mean. In Germany, the term ‘assessment center’ (they always use the American spelling) is not a physical place. It’s a training method or training/coaching system. As far as I can see, only the Germans use this term and also this approach itself.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Smoke stacks[YSaerTTEW443543]

Oh, I see…

The sites I looked at seemed natively English, so I’m wondering if this is some jargony meaning that I am not familiar with. I’m really not sure…

Living in Germany, I can confirm that they love using English words, but these rarely have the same meaning as the ‘true’ English use.

I would classify ‘assessment center’ as Denglish so it falls into a similar category as ‘public viewing’ or ‘happy end’.