-Ing: The subject of 'labelling' is 'he' or 'factory'?

Dear teachers,

Please read:

He was sent to work in a factory labelling bottles for 6$ a week.

The subject of “labelling” is “he” or “factory”?
If I don’t want to use “labelling”, how to rewrite the sentence?

(He was sent to work in a factory where he labelled bottles for 6 $ a week.)

Thanks
Q

P.S: In class, my teacher said the subject of “labelling” is “he”, not “factory”. But I think"factory" may also the subject of “labelling” (metaphor). How about your opinion?

Hi Quoc

Your teacher is correct. :wink:

He labelled bottles (at the factory).

Amy

Dear teachers,

Instead of saying:
The employees in this factory labelled bottles.
Can I say:

The factory labelled bottles. (metonymy)

If yes, in:

He was sent to work in a factory labelling bottles for $6 a week. (a)

Can “factory” be the subject of “labelling”?

Because (a) can be rewritten as follows:
He was sent to work in a factory where they (=the employees in the factory)labelled bottles for $6 a week.

Best regards
Tung Quoc

Of course,not. The subject is “he”

The factory labelled bottles. (yes,as the case of metonymy, subject is the factory then)
But I don’t understand why to rephrase the sentence. :shock:

Hi Quoc

In your sentence you should stick with the idea that he labelled bottles. :wink:

I understand your argument that your sentence could be understood to mean “a factory that labels bottles”, however in your sentence there is also “for $6 a week” after the word “bottles”. And the sentence definitely does not mean that “the factory labels bottles for $6 a week.”

Theoretically speaking, you could write a different sentence about a factory:
The factory labelling our bottles burned down last night.
In this case it’s clear that “the factory labelled bottles”. :smiley:

Amy

Dear teacher Yankee,

"
I understand your argument that your sentence could be understood to mean “a factory that labels bottles”, however in your sentence there is also “for $6 a week” after the word “bottles”. And the sentence definitely does not mean that "the factory labels bottles for $6 a week. "

If my sentence is for $6,000,000 a week, can I understand that either “a factory labels bottles” or he labels bottles”?

My question is: In the case that 2 cases are possible (we can understand either heorfactory” is the subject of “labelling”), how to distinguis these 2 subjects?

Thanks
Quoc

PS: I write $6,000,000 or 6,000,000$ or $6.000.000 or 6.000.000$ or $6000000 or 6000000$
All are correct?