Ing after some verbs/Some sentence to correct

I know after some verbs is correct using the following verb in gerund instead of the infinitive. But is it correct using it in any tense of the verb? Like the begin and start.

When I started/began making some money (Can "to make" be used here?)

Sentences to correct:

- Let’s say we are in a car going on a highway that is next to a big city. Can we say:

"We are passing by Atlanta" or  "We are passing through Atlanta "? 

- When we give a baby the same name that his father we say “He is name after his father” but when we ask, do we ask like this?:

"Who is the baby called after?"

- Does these two have the same meaning? Any of these is incorrect or unnatural?:

"Not even us understand them completly" and "We don't even understand them completly"

- I’ve been struggling with this one because I have no idea which one could be the best one:

"I will try to improve my skills to the top" or "I will try to improve my skills to the maximun" or "I will try to improve my skills the most I can/I be able to"

Well these are all, a little too much I know. But I’ve been having more doubts since I left The states and stopped speaking english with as much people as before lol. Thanks in advance.

“When I started/began making some money…” – OK.
“When I started/began to make some money…” – OK.

“We are passing by Atlanta.” – The road goes past Atlanta (near to it, so that the city is one one side).
“We are passing through Atlanta.” – The road goes through Atlanta (so that the city is on both sides).

“Who is the baby called after?” – Possible.
“Who is the baby named after?” – I prefer this one.

“Not even we understand them completely.” – Implication is that because we don’t understand them, most likely no one does.
“We don’t even understand them completely.” – Implication is typically that understanding them is desirable/necessary for some objective.

“I will try to improve my skills to the top.” – Not natural.
“I will try to improve my skills to the maximum.” – Possible.
“I will try to improve my skills the most/best I can/I be able to.” – Possible. I think I would tend to use “best”. More usual/standard is “… as much as I can”.