In twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today

You are right, when it comes to taking the TOEFL test pretty much any answer that is coherent is acceptable. However, it’s much more interesting and useful to engage in a discussion and exchange ideas than merely composing an essay, wouldn’t you agree?

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree with you on that! But I’ve to ask this: What would you give me on that essay out of 30? :slight_smile:

I think it will depend on the country which we are talking about. I mean, countries like US has much land and less people living in it. It takes 1 hour to go suburbs from the city downtown. I don’t think the car numbers on the road will decrease in order to prevent global warming… Even cars which uses electricity is on the rise, and I suppose 20 years later will be electiricity cars’ decade.

But crowded cities like NY, London, Istanbul etc. will probably provide more efficient ways to transport. Because if population will grow more than land or opportunities will grow, city ministers would like to provide better service to crowded people to make their lives easier. And they will have to. So I assume their public transportation even will become better.

And European cities… They are built more smaller areas than US built. They have less distance of commute and they reach better to their destinations. So maybe European cities will have less cars on the road. But who knows? Electricity cars which invented by using new technology are on the rise and they might take great part in European cities’ roads too!

2 Likes

Out of 30 I would probably give you 25. As for the future of cars, I’m convinced that private car ownership has already passed its peak and will soon start to decline for a variety of reasons. Now, please tell us a little bit more about yourself. Where are you from and what are your plans for 2020?

2 Likes

Thanks! I want to improve this about 27-28 in 2 weeks. What would your advices be?

I’m 5th-year-old medical student in Turkey. I’m taking US Medical licensing examinatios, actually took on of them. Heading over to be a resident in US. I want to do clinical internships in US at 2020 and gain a lot experience for my future career. Internship programs require 108, that’s why I’m planning to take TOEFL in 1 month,

Enough about me, where are you from and what are your “new year’s resolutions?” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please note that advice is an uncountable noun. Also, why are those scores so important to you? What you think and write is so much more important than any formal standard because AI-driven systems will soon be able to compose beautiful and error-free essays. However, machines will never be able to apply critical thinking and exchange genuine thoughts with other human beings. Those are the capabilities and skills you should be focusing one. As for my “new year’s resolutions” one of them is to build a team of content creators and digital entrepreneurs.

2 Likes

Thanks! Actually, I’m on your side. I predict and hope AI will rise even medical stuff will be more easy to understand and interpret; but critical thinking won’t lose it’s significance. Most important difference between human mind and AI is exchanging ideas and creating things that have never been done with these ideas; with using critical thinking.

But I need scores because universities requires it to accept to their programs :slight_smile: That’s why these scores are important to me.

I wish you the best in the new year!

2 Likes

I’m sure @Elida and @Andrea will give you some advice too since they both have a lot of experience in academic writing and TOEFL preparation.

Hello Burak, welcome to our forum, it’s great to see you have you on board. I think your essay writing skills are already very good and you can improve them even more by listening to podcasts and writing summaries on what you hear. You can post your summaries here on the forum if you like and we will give you feedback. It’s always better to learn together as a community than on your own.

2 Likes

Hi! That’s a pretty appealing offer! It’s great to see people like you. Absolutely I’ll post my essays on the forum. Thanks!

2 Likes

Burak, I’ve just found out that Turkey has designed and developed its first electric car called ‘TOGG’. It looks very good and already comes with level 2 autonomous driving. Mass production is scheduled to start in 2022 with pre-orders already placed. Are you aware of this? I was not and am truly impressed!

2 Likes

Yeah, I become aware. Hope it would be beneficial to or economy!

2 Likes

Buses are cars though.

2 Likes

Hi Winnie, welcome to our forum. Why would you say buses are cars?

1 Like

Here is my essay, can you please give me your feedback and advise to improve writing skills? Thanks in advance

Technology is one of the essential achievements of humanity because it facilitates our daily lives. Cars are one of these technological inventions since the nineteenth century. In my opinion, within twenty years, cars’ intensity will be larger than today. I feel that way because of two reasons that I will discuss in the following essay.

First of all, twenty years from now, there is no doubt that our life will be more advanced, so there will be more companies. The more companies the country has, the more jobs it offers for its people. As a result, considerable opportunities will be available for people who will require cars to avoid arriving late due to transportation crowd. For instance, about 20 years ago, I was living in Cairo with my family. I started a new job in a civil engineering company, but the number of people who worked there was only fifteen. It was a small company, and only two or three of its employees had cars until 2007, when it became a large one. During that period of time, the number of laborers increased to a hundred, and most of them have their own vehicles. Moreover, many friends of mine have cars nowadays than before due to their new jobs.

Secondly, number of cars will increase more in the future because of the widespread of building new institutions and libraries every year. Universities have a lot of people working as teachers, workers and students, and most of them possess their vehicles, so they can reach their destinations easily. Therefore, in the future, due to the increase in literacy and knowledge, more colleges and libraries will be constructed by governments. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. When I was a child, our city had only one university, where limited number of students went to learn science and engineering, besides, few of them had old models cars. On the other hand, nowadays, the city has 10 universities and two sophisticated libraries where a tremendous amount of people come to study and gain knowledge. Consequently, car numbers increased a lot today more than in the past, which indicates a continuous rise in the future.

In conclusion, cars will be more in the future twenty years because of the increase in companies and career opportunities, in addition to the spread of knowledge, which will be represented in establishing new institutions and libraries. This growth of city size will lead most people to own cars.

2 Likes

Hello Roaa, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your essay. I understand all of what you want to say which I find is the most important criteria when it comes to writing. Before I can give you any advice on how to improve your writing skills I would need to get more information about you and your situation. Why exactly do you want to improve your writing skills and how do you measure your progress?

Best regards,
Torsten

PS: At any rate saying ‘hello’ when you join a community is a great idea, wouldn’t you agree?

2 Likes

Hello, Mr. Torsten. Thanks for your reply, and I am so sorry about this mistake. Nowadays, I am preparing for TOEFL in order to pursue my graduate study in educational policy. I am going to take the TOEFL test within a month. I really need a score of 100, and I don’t know how to get it, especially in speaking and writing. Regarding my progress measurement, I started to read some English books where I gained some vocabulary and felt some overall progress in English. In addition, I have already begun studying for TOEFL since one month ago, so I noticed progress in listening and reading.

I will be very grateful if you give me your advice.

Best regards,
Roaa

2 Likes

Roaa, if you are really interested in studying educational policy you can do so even without enrolling in overrated expensive university programs. The question is are you ‘studying for the TOEFL’ or are you passionate about education? If you really want to know how what the future of education will look like you should learn about things like Micro Credentials v. Traditional Degrees | english.best

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation, I will explore this. I have already applied for a master’s degree in my country, and I am supposed to send English scores next June, they want 22 in writing. But I will apply abroad as well for 2021. I graduated from physics major, but I am very interested in education development in my country. I worked for more than a year in jobs related to educational leadership to get a good experience. Therefore, my next step is to study what I want and participate in the research. Therefore, I study for the TOEFL to apply for a variety range of universities, including high ranked ones.

2 Likes

Hi there can you review mine and give me some tips on how i can improve it.

“In twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today.” Do you agree or disagree?

It is critically important that we look and analyse into the data on the usage of cars as transportation. In many western socities many alternatives are being used which are less harmful than cars. Personally
i believe that there will be lesser number of cars in the foreseeable future. I feel this way for two reasons which i will explore in the following essay.

To begin with, travellers prefer using public transit as they can have a peaceful journey which would ensure them to be in a good mood. Nowadays, people enjoy using cycle and other public transit to reach
to their destination. For instance, a person who uses public transportation can reach his location without any hassle or difficuuilty and could ensure him to be in the right mindset. This would further
improve his productivity as he is free from the tension of driving in a car clogged traffic, and can focus his energy onto his work to achieve his goal. Therefore, it can be seen that people tend to avoid cars or
their personal transportation for the sake of avoiding heavy traffic and to reach their destination more peacefully.

Furthermore, driving cars is more hazardous to the place we live in as it can cause commotion, accidents and most of all affect the environment that sustains us. For example it’s seen that in cars there is a emmission
of carbon gases from the smoke exhaust. These gases are potential hazard as they affect the outside layer of atmosphere, which in turn allows the penetration of harmful UV rays from the sun. This has caused
to the global warming and has negatively impacted the glaciers, the water sources, the eco system and other living and non living things. People who are being aware of this catastrophy has made sure to make
an effort to use cars less. This way they enable the planet to revive and regrow to it’s natural form.

In conclusion i feel that there will be indeed a reduction in the usage of cars in the coming years. This is because cars are difficult to travel with from one location to another, besides they are more costly to
handle and maintain. They are also a potential hazard to the atmosphere as it increases global warming which will effect the overall climate as well. People are now alert of its negative attributes and are making
a conscious effort to minmize the usage of it for transportation.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to our forum. I do agree with you – there will be fewer cars in use in twenty years with new forms of shared mobility emerging. One of those new technologies is Hyperloop which has successfully been testet lately and will see widespread adoption by end of the 2030s.

As a transitional step away from combustion engine cars towards interconnected systems of shared and micro-mobility we are going to experience a dramatic rise of electric vehicles (EVs) while traditional gas and diesel powered cars will see a significant decline. After all, not every single one of us completely ignores the unfolding climate crisis:

1 Like