In some organizations, promotions are based on seniority, while in other organiza

In some organizations, promotions are based on seniority, while in other organizations, promotions are based on performance. Discuss the advantages of each position. Than indicate which position you think is best and why?

There are good and bad sides to both promotions based on seniority or performance. A lot of employees think that if you have been working for 5 years at the same position they deserve to be promoted. Others support the idea of being promoted according to your performance at work.

On the one hand, there are those workers who have been working very hard every day for the last 1 year since they started their job. For example, a student that has just graduated from university starts to work. He is doing his assignment on time, he is never late for work and his is doing his job in a perfect way. In this case, no matter if he was working for a year or 10 he will deserve to have a promotion. Moreover, employees who have just started working are more diligent and persistent than those who have been at the same position for longer. They will do whatever it takes to be the best at what they are doing, so they will deserve a reward.

On the other hand, employees who have longer length of service will know a lot more about their work and how to approach to every kind of problem they face. Having more experience than others has always been an advantage because most employers would prefer to give a job or promote a worker with more experience than one with none. Also, when you have stayed in a position for longer time you will have your boss’s trust. Your employer will have faith in you and will be sure that he/she can share with you whatever he has a problem either with another colleague or something that he/she can’t understand. Helping him/her can be a big bonus for you when it’s time for promotion.

If I was an employer and have to choose between one with better performance or another with seniority and would prefer the one whose performance is better. In my opinion it is better to promote a person who is going develop and does his/her best at his/her job instead of another doing well but not impressing me with his/her work.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why is the man taking this course?

There are good and bad sides to both promotions based on seniority or performance. A lot of employees think that if you have been working for FIVE years IN the same position they deserve to be promoted. Others support the idea of being promoted according to your performance at work.

On the one hand, there are those workers who have been working very hard every day for the last year since they started their job A YEAR AGO. For example, a student that has just graduated from university starts to work. He is doing his assignment on time, he is never late for work and his is doing his job in a perfect way. In this case, no matter if he was working for a year or FOR TEN YEARS(,) he will deserve to have a promotion. Moreover, employees who have just started working are more diligent and persistent than those who have been IN the same position for longer. They will do whatever it takes to be the best at what they are doing, so they will deserve a reward.

On the other hand, employees who have A longer length of service will know a lot more about their work(,) and how to approach to every kind of problem they face. Having more experience than others has always been an advantage(,) because most employers would prefer to give a job or promote a worker with more experience than one with none.
Also, when you have stayed in a position for A LONG time you will have your boss’s trust. Your employer will have faith in you(,) and will be sure that he/she can share with you WHENEVER he has a problem either with another colleague(,) or something that he/she CANNOT understand. Helping him/her can be a big bonus for you when IT IS time for promotion.

If I was an employer and have to choose between one with better performance or another with seniority(,) I would prefer the one whose performance is better. In my opinion it is better to promote a person who is going TO develop and does his/her best at his/her job(,) instead of another doing well but not impressing me with his/her work.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
WELCOME to the Forum Yana. This was a good first essay. Your punctuation does need some attention.

Kitos. 7/10

Thank you very much!

I have posted my paragraph from two hours ago and I do not find it now . Why you removed it ? Is it so bad to an incredible degree and does not deserve to even be graded ? :frowning:

Hello Ashtoty,

Welcome to the forums.

Do you mean this one:
TOEFL essay about a meaningful transition in a person’s life.

Hello Coach,

Yes, this is my paragraph; sorry for my confusing :smiley: