In many countries, children are becoming overweight and unhealthy. Some people think that the government should have the responsibility. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, the question that whether local and national authorities take responsibility for obesity and unhealthiness in children or not has been receiving a great deal of public attention. I believe that this duty belongs to both individuals and government.

On the one hand, there are several reasons why government should have responsible for this case. First, since, the authorities make too much priority policies in flourishing the national economy, they lack measures to consolidate children sports infrastructure. This means that, in many countries, there are few amusement parks with equipment serving children, such as slide, swings, and rocking horse…, which children tend to play game and watch movie more. Second, there are many countries have overburdened school curriculum, pupils do not have time to play outdoor activities. In fact, students have so much homework and deadlines, thus children could be stressed due to under pressure.

On the other hand, parents also should take responsibility for overweight and unhealthy in children. In order to earn money to cover for family life, parents were got caught up in the whirlpool of work. This means that, they have a little time to outdoor activities, like soccer and badminton…, with their children, thus children have sedentary lifestyle. Besides, children are excessively consuming junk food, such as snack and fast food. Because of these foods have high fat-level, which children are becoming overweight. Parents should keep any eye what their children are eating and raising health awareness education for children.

In conclusion, the number of childhood obesity are increasingly rising in many nations. Both individuals and government should be jointly responsible for this problem

3 Likes

Hello Manhhuong, welcome to our forum and many thanks for sharing your first essay with us. Let’s take it one step at a time starting with the sentence below. The combination '‘have responsible’ doesn’t work (noun plus adjective). Please change it.

1 Like

Oh, I’m itching to correct this, so I will, sorry, I can’t help myself and I feel extremely well this morning, at least the sun is shining.

• On the one hand, there are several reasons why the government should have responsibility for this case.
2 Likes

(noun plus adjective) should that be (verb plus adjective, have responsible) doesn’t work here?

1 Like

Exactly. You can either take responsibility or be responsible for something.

2 Likes

Torsten you’re right but there are other ways to use this:

- The minister took full responsibility for the disaster and resigned. (In this sentence take = accept)
- She takes her responsibilities as a nurse very seriously.

But to have a responsibility to someone, is to work or to help someone who is in a position of authority over you, but that authority also has duties to those who work them, in my opinion.

- The government should have had the responsibilty to take measures against Covid-19 sooner./better still: The Goverment should have taken…
- The company says it cannot cut its prices any more because it has a responsibility to its shareholders.

Source: Cambridge Free English Dictionary online. I didn’t write these sentences or explanations myself, only the small alteration in the second.

Also:

- He will finally be held responsible for his actions.
- He was responsible for the disaster.
- He assumed responsibilty for the company’s legal department.
- What is a project manager responsible for?
- The IRA claimed responsibilty for the bomb attack on the Brighton Hotel in 1984.

2 Likes