In case of + article or not?

Dear teachers,

Please read: If there is an accident, please call 888. (1)
If there is a fire, ring the bell. (2)

1/ (1) has the same meaning with : (A) or (B)?
A.In case of accident, please call 888.
B.In case of an accident, please call 888.

After “In case of +noun”, we use or don’t use an article?
What is the difference in meaning btw (A) and (B)(both are correct or only one of them is correct?)? Is there a rule?

2/ (2) has the same meaning with : © or (D)?
C.In case of fire, please call 888.
D.In case of a fire, please call 888.
After “In case of +noun”, we use or don’t use an article?
What is the difference in meaning btw © and (D)? (both are correct or only one of them is correct?) Is there a rule?

3/ If only (A) and © are correct, why in (1), (2) there is an article, but in (A), © there isn’t an article? Is there a change of the meaning when leaving out an article ?

Thanks
Quoc

Hi,

Your question is really whether or not you use the indefinite article with fire and accident. Fire can be conflagration in a general sense, then it will not usually have an articles or it can be a collection of flames, then it will attract an article. Accident is a countable noun and the usually rules apply.

Alan

Dear teacher,

You wrote:

"
Fire can be conflagration in a general sense, then it will not usually have an article… "

So, the sentence:

If there is [color=red]fire, ring the bell. is correct. (A)

Is it right?

1. “…it can be a collection of flames, then it will attract an article.” That means “fire” in this case has an article.

So, the sentence:

If there is [color=red]a fire, ring the bell. is correct. (B)

Is it right?

If not, what is the difference in meaning btw (A) and (B)?
What is wrong in (A)?

Thanks
Quoc

Hi,

I have already described the difference.

Alan

Dear Sir,

Dear teacher,

You wrote:

"
Fire can be conflagration in a general sense, then it will not usually have an article… "

That means “fire” [color=red]can be used without an article.

So, the sentence:

If there is fire, ring the bell. is correct.

But, why teacher Amy and my teacher said (A) is incorrect?

Please explain me.

I go to school now to meet my anaesthetizing teacher because I have class now and I return in 3 hours.

Thanks
Quoc

Hi,

I can only repeat that if you want to ask questions, then you should spend a little time looking at the explanations before you send off another question. The sentence:

that you have posted does not chime with the explanation I gave because this is not an example of a general use of the word ‘fire’ it is a specific use of the word and in effect means as I have already said, a collection of flames and so it follows that you would say: If there is A fire …

I must admit I find it very irritating the way you repeat the same questions over and over again and you take no notice of an explanation.

Alan

Dera Sir,

I understand now. Thanks you very much.

Quoc