I'm going to get it in my kitchen

At a hardware store

Man: I’m here to buy some two-by-fours and then take them home, and build a garage with them.

Woman: Some paint to paint my new apartment.

Man: It’s a sink I just bought. I’m going to get it in my kitchen.

Man: Change the lock on my door.

Man: It’s a sink I just bought. I’m going to get it in my kitchen. ← Original text

• What does he really says?

• Please correct this sentence.

Thank you.

Video link: (5 seconds)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbtzrs-eGc39m6sJS4a2R8e24opqPHhl/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Man: It’s a sink I just bought. I’m going to put it in my kitchen.

3 Likes

This would make perfect sense, but what I hear is “bench my kitchen”, which makes no sense.
I don’t have an answer.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Torsten :rose:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Arinker :rose:

3 Likes

I listened to that video a bunch of times. I can’t figure out what he says. As Arinker pointed out it does have kind of a CH sound like bench. That doesn’t make sense though. I can’t think of any word that makes sense.

I used to build houses and do maintenance work. There is a lot of specialized terminology. I think the writer of those hardware store videos might not know the correct words. Some words are also different in different parts of the US and Canada.

People use different words in different parts of the country. Something called a “trimmer” in one location might be called a “jack stud” in a different location. Something called a “ribbon joist” in one location might be called a “rim joist” or “band joist” in a different location. “Drywall” in one place is called “Sheet rock” in other places.

Laymen all use the word “toilet”, but some professionals use the word “water closet” or just “closet”. When looking at blue prints, the toilet is often marked with “WC” for water closet.

There is a lot of inconsistency with terminology in the building industry. The guy in that video might really be saying “bench”, but I have never heard the word used that way.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, NearlyNapping :rose:

Very nice explanation.

3 Likes

I listened to it about 3 dozen times, and the closest I could come is “I’m going to finish my kitchen.” This would make sense, but as NN said it sounds like it ends in a “ch” sound.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Arinker :rose:

Very nice.

2 Likes