If you get a chance this week, please check it out?

Hi, what is the difference between if you get a chance and if you get the chance in the following sentence:

If you get the chance this week, please log into your English course and complete the pronunciation exercises.

If you get a chance this week, please log into your English course and complete the pronunciation exercises.

To me, get a chance makes more sense here, please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A view of an audience[YSaerTTEW443543]

Nothing. No difference. The sounds just slightly more polite. I wonder why? Perhaps it suggests that the listener might have only one chance, because s/he is so busy and important.

Hi Torsten,

There is a slight difference and it has shades of the difference between infinitive and gerund. It has to do with that word specificity, which I just love. Again some examples:

If you get a chance, I should be gratetful if you would just check this letter for me.

This suggests if you have a moment and there is no desperate rush.

If you get the chance, I would certainly recommend you visit the magnificent cathedral in the city centre.

This suggests that this is a special opportunity which shouldn’t be missed.

Alan

Hi Alan and Charles,

Many thanks for your immediate response. You know, there are situations when a question just pops up and you when you get a quick answer, you will memorize the information much faster too.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Three skyscrapers[YSaerTTEW443543]