If you could go back in the past

Hello,

This is my second attempt to write an essay. I could not remember some things while writing so some details may be wrong (e.g., north star). I hope those who read my essay will understand.

I appreciate any comment.

Thanks in advance

Question: If you could go back to some time and place in the past, when and where would you go? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

There are places and periods in history that I want to go back and visit if I had a time-machine. If I had to choose one, I would like to go to Egypt when the great pyramids were built and mummies were made.

First, I would like to see how great pyramids were constructed. The Egyptian pyramids are considered as one of the world’s greatest mysteries and as one of the greatest human achivements. Even after years of studying Egyptian texts and how the Egyptian pyramids were built, there are still many mysteries that scholars are unable to answer. For instance, it is still unclear how the Egyptians were able to build the pyramids so that they will always face the North star. By going back in time when these pyramids were constructd, I would be able to see in person how they were built and to solve many of the mysteries that scholars have today.

Another reason why I would like to travel back in time to Egypt is that I would like to see how mummies were made. When I was young, I saw an Egyptian mummy on television. Fascinated by how well the mummy was preserved, I wanted to know more about mummies. Therefore, I read many books on Eygptian history and on mummification procedures. While reading those books, I became more interested in mummies and wanted to see how they were made. Unfortunately, mummification is no longer practiced in any of the countries that I know of. Therefore, by going back in time to Egypt, I will see how mummies were made.

In conclusion, there are several reasons why I would like to go to Egypt if I had a time machine. I believe that by going back in time, I will see and learn how the Egyptians were able to build pyramids and make mummies.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university service representative

1 Like