IELTS writing task1—Consumption of energy by fuel in the US

aaabbccc

The given line graph illustrates how much energy has been consumed in the USA since 1980 with the projection for 2030.

Overall, petrol and oil will be the dominant form of energy in 2030 despite various changes while nuclear, hydropower, solar and wind will be the least popular ones in the given period, including insignificant changes. Coal and natural gas will be directly in the middle in terms of energy consumption and there has been moderate changes over the years.

There was a period of fluctuation around 35 quadrillion units (35q) in fossil fuels usage over the first 25 years, compared with a surge until 2030 when the figure will peak at nearly 50q (ten times higher than that of renewable energy in the same year). After a global upward trend, coal consumption in 2030 will double its starting point (30q and 15q respectively). Despite varying around 20q over the first 35 years, natural gas usage has remained stable at around 25q after being overtaken by coal in 2015.

Nuclear and the renewable power all represented at under 5q in 1980. They were erratic before remaining unchanged at fairly 5q from 2010 onwards

Please score my essay, thanks a lot!

4 Likes

Hi there! This is a nice attempt but I feel you have not represented the facts from the graph correctly. For example: You mentioned that petrol and oil will be the most ‘dominant’ form of energy by 2030. But if you see the graph, petrol and oil have been the most widely used source of energy since the 1980s. While it is important to write the essay with grammatical accuracy, one must not forget that the examiner is also checking how well you understand facts.

Also, I would you use “the amount of” instead of “how much” in the first line.This text will be hidden

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

2 Likes