Ielts writing - Task 2

Some people believe that developments in the field of artificial intelligence will have a positive impact on our lives in the near future. Others, by contrast, are worried that we are not prepared for a world in which computers are more intelligent than humans. Discuss both of these views and give your own opinion.

People today are either excited or worried about the future impacts of artificial intelligence on our life. While many individuals have optimistic views about the rising of development on artificial intelligence, I believe that the artificial intelligence’s outcomes should be taken into consideration.**

On the one hand, the increasing on the sectors of artificial intelligence will bring immense benefits to our society and improve our standard of living in the future. Machines are obviously able to do many jobs better than humans do in various fields that require high-level accuracy and quick information procession or sophisticated calculations. For example, robotics could survive where no human can such as in deep space, beneath the ocean, inside nuclear reactors, and engineers already designed autonomous vehicles that using sensor radar, satellite navigation systems enable them to drive themselves. Such intelligent technologies help reduce the likelihood of human errors and even amplify human capabilities.

On the other hand, I share the concerns of people who trust that artificial intelligence may change to our life in negative ways. In short-term impacts, advances in artificial intelligence might pose a threat to the job security on millions of workers worldwide. Lorry drivers, taxi drivers, or public transportation drivers, for example, will be at risk of getting redundant in vast number, if products of artificial intelligence are ubiquitous. In long term fear is that people become deskills and laziness, which in turn workers could lose their expectations in life. Intelligent technologies, consequently, might take control out of humans and even dominate the world in many aspects like economy, education, or meditation.

In conclusion, while the development of artificial intelligence might benefit our life in various ways, the rising of intelligent machines should not be ignored.

3 Likes

Hi Thaodang, I enjoyed reading your essay. I think you have addressed the prompt correctly and given both the positive and negative consequences. Your negative ones seem more specific though - try to make your positives more specific as well - exactly what will the impacts be? Your English is very clear though, with only a few errors in usage here and there.
Here are some suggestions:

3 Likes

I mean medical not meditation :slight_smile:
I’m not make sense of " the meaning of deskilled", please give me example of how to use this word in a sentence.
Thesis statement: I don’t know to make this thesis statement clear in the topic. Please help me about this. Thanks a lot hihi

1 Like

Hi, here are some. “The coffee shop has replaced their old-fashioned espresso maker with an automatic one that any worker can use just by pressing a button. The job of barista has become deskilled.”

"My uncle’s job at the chair making factory has been deskilled. He used to make the back of the chairs by hand by shaping the wood with a file, but now a machine does this and he just loads the wood into the machine and removes the finished part. "

“It used to take a lot of knowledge and skill to drive a truck, but soon autonomous trucks will deskill the job of truck driver and former drivers will become mainly passengers or eventually disappear completely.”

Here’s a suggested modification of your thesis:

“While many individuals have optimistic views about the rise and spread of artificial intelligence, others worry about the possible negative ramifications the development of this technology may have. I tend to side with these more cautious pundits, as intelligent robots and automation have negative impacts that must be carefully considered.”

Here instead of the vague “outcomes”, I used “negative impacts”, which shows that I am against the unregulated spread of AI.

2 Likes

This should read “I can’t make sense of…”

1 Like

Hi my leader Luschen, I tried to make my positives more specific by giving more examples and make support sentences more clear, Please check my essay agains. Tks :smile:

Your introduction seems to be complicated for me to write because of vocabularies like " ramifications, pundits :frowning:

While many individuals have optimistic views about the rise of artificial intelligence, others worry about the possible negative effects of the spread of automated machines may have. In my opinion, the negative effects of intelligent robots and automation must be carefully considered.

On the one hand, machines controlled by computer can replace people to work in hostile hazardous environment where no human can survive. In deep space exploration, for example, submarines enable humans to dive to considerable depths to explore deep-sea organisms living there. Furthermore, intelligent technologies are obviously able to not only eliminate human errors but also do many job better than humans in areas that require high-level of accuracy, quick information processing, and sophisticated calculations. Surgical robots, for instance, are utilized by doctors in operations since such robots can achieve precise movements which limit injuries during surgeries and recovery time is shorter.
On the other hand, I share the concerns of people who fear that artificial intelligence may change to our lives in negative ways. In the short-term impacts, advances in artificial intelligence might pose a threat to the job security of millions of workers worldwide. Lorry drivers, taxi drivers, or public transportation drivers, for example, will be at risk of getting becoming redundant in vast numbers, if technologies made by artificial intelligence are ubiquitous. In the long term, the fear is that people become lazy and lose their creative powers, which in turn could result in workers could lose their expectations in life. Intelligent technologies, consequently, might take control out of humans and even dominate the world in many aspects like economy, education, or medicine.
In conclusion, artificial intelligence comes with beneficial and harmful sides. I believe that automated technologies can make positive contributions to society, but they must be well-regulated to reduce their potential harmful side effects.

2 Likes

Hi Thaodang, sorry for my complicated vocabulary words, though they are not too complicated!
Ramifications just means effects or consequences, and pundits means people who state their opinions. So “pundits” is a great substitute for “people” in almost any introduction.

I think this is a great revision - I would expect an essay like this to score a band 7 or 7.5.

2 Likes