IELTS writing task 2: (20/10/2018) The use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, is replacing face-to-face contact in this century. Do you think the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Dear teacher,

Please help me check my friend essay.

Thank you
(20/10/2018) The use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, is replacing face-to-face contact in this century. Do you think the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

The beneficial of technology nowadays is a big advantage for the development of human kind, at the point of growing in a 4.0 century, some people believe that face-to-face communication will be totally supplanted by other ways of communicating through the Internet. In my opinion, I strongly disagree with this stagement.

Online communications has enable people to do things that in the past were told to be impossible. One of the benefits that social media such as Facebook or Snapchat has brings to people living in this technology age is the ability to reach people from far distances without event meeting their face, people can chat with others as many times they want, as anywhere they desire with just a connection of internet. From this advantage, people can meet other from all around the world and expanse their network including the knowledge and experience about the place that others had lived through their life.
Furthermore, people nowadays can easily follow what others have gone through by reading their latest posts on social media and express their thought about events that the post owner have experienced. For example, some people can share their thoughts on various problems as well as their feelings with friends by messaging while they would feel embarrassed doing so when they meet face-to-face. The commenters can also say whatever they want in their free will, they don’t need to be worried the responsibility they have to take when saying what they thinks because no one know what they look like in real life, as a result, people tend to have a laid back attitude when chatting and talking online.
With all the advantage that social media brings to us, there will always a catch to these, communicate using social media is a double-edged sword. From a security perspective, the Internet communication is not completely secure and can be secretly accessed by hackers and sometimes government organizations. To illustrate, in 2015, NSA was found to have been reading all emails and listening to numerous phone calls of American citizens, and even in 2016, the phone of Germany prime minister was also found to be tapped by the CIA. Moreover, hundreds of security holes have been found during the last few years. Although most of them have been fixed quickly, security experts believe that numerous messages of Android users and Windows users have been read by hackers. These two examples prove that if any important conversations are online, they are at risk of being hacked and consequently, face-to-face communication is the only solution for this problem.

Another point that makes face-to-face communication irreplaceable is the physical contact. When people meet each other face-to-face, they not only talk but also touch each other, such as handshakes or hugs, which is better enhance their conversations. In addition, meeting face-to-face can create real feelings that online chatting simply cannot create. For example, when speaking with a sad friend, you can pad on their shoulder to express your sympathy and share emotions with your friend. Finally, online meetings are clearly not as formal as face-to-face, as in-person meetings will clearly show more respect for the other people, and the trips of high-ranking officials to foreign countries are clear examples of that since there would be no online meeting between countries’s leaders.

In conclusion, despite the advance of social media, I believe that face-to-face communication will still play an important role in people’s lives.

2 Likes

Hi, I enjoyed your essay but this seems extremely long for an IELTS essay. It is best to practice writing under the same strict time restraints that you will have during the actual test. You have a lot of good ideas here, but you will probably just need to cut a couple of them and perhaps condense the others a little bit. Still, I did like your detailed examples and explanations. Some of your sentences seem to ramble on a little too long, but your writing is clear and sounds very natural for the most part.
Here are some other comments:

3 Likes

Thank you very much,

Teacher.

1 Like