IELTS Writing task 1: Line Graph

Dear Teacher,
Please help to correct my writing for IELTS writing task 1. Thank you very much!

The graph below shows average carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per person in the United Kindom, Sweden, Italy and Portugal between 1967 and 2007.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
ielts-11-test-3-task-1

The line graph illustrates the average emissions of carbon dioxide per person in four European countries over a 40-year period. Overall, it is clear that the emissions in the UK and Sweden showed a downward trend while the figures for Italy and Portugal saw a remarkable increase.

The most striking feature is that people in the UK produced the largest amount of carbon dioxide in 1967, at about 11 metric tonnes. By stark contrast, Portuguese residents had the least proportion of carbon emissions with approximately 0.6 metric tonnes in the first year. However, the figures for Portugal then experienced a sharp rise, going up to roughly 5.5 metric tonnes in 2007. Over the next decades, the amount of carbon dioxide in the UK decreased steadily by 2 metric tonnes.

With regard to Sweden and Italy, it is noticeable that the amount of CO2 emissions of Swedish residents was almost two times higher than that of Italians, at about 8.8 and 4.5 respectively. The figures for Sweden then soared to reach its peak at 10.3 metric tonnes before decreasing steeply in the next years. Conversely, the emissions per person in Italy saw a steady increase to 7.8 metric tonnes in 2007.

(200 words)

2 Likes

Hi Duogan, I thought you did a pretty good job with this report.
I liked your summary and your overall organization is good.
I think you might have tried a bit too hard for variety in your vocabulary, because some of your phrases sound a bit odd or unnatural.
Here are some specific suggestions:

2 Likes