IELTS writing task 1- Can you give me feedback and estimated Band Score according to current rating system please?

Hi everyone. I wonder your feedback and estimated band score.

The graph gives information about the quantity of voyager rail network travels made in Great Britain from 1950 to 2004/5. Units are measured in million.
Overall, the passengers made the most railway journeys by national rail network, while the least rail network journeys were made by light rail & metro systems. Furthermore, the number of passengers who get on the national rail network and London subway, while the number of passengers who used light rail and metro systems increased in just after 1980.
At the beginning of the period, national rail network served 1000 million passengers, while the figure peaked up at about 1100 million passengers in 1960. Then, the quantity of passengers who used national rail network experienced a rapid decline to about 625 million in 1980. Thereafter, the figure gradually increased to 1100 million in 2004/5. Regarding to London underground, the number of passengers were about just under 750 million in 1950. Then, the figure remained constant to 1975, whereas the least passengers accounted for nearly under 500 million in just after 1980. Afterward, the figure experienced a steady increase to just under 1000 million at the end of the period.
On the other hand, light rail and metro systems started to serve after 1960. About 10 million passengers used it at the beginning of the period. In comparison, at the end of the period, the number of the passengers who get on the light rail and metro systems were about 150 million.

4 Likes

Hi Mehmet! I’ll leave the Band Score to @Torsten, but I do have some feedback to your assignment.

while the number of passengers who used light rail and metro systems increased in just after 1980.

You don’t need the word “in” above, unless you wanted to say that it “increased in number,” but even that sounds inelegant compared to “… increased just after 1980.”

At the beginning of the period,

I’d point out which period. You could say, “From 1950…” just to be more precise.

while the figure peaked up at about 1100 million passengers in 1960.

“Up” is redundant here. The correct expression is just “peaked at xy.”

1100 million passengers

Speaking from my experience as a journalist, you don’t want to transcribe the numbers exactly from a graph every time. There is no such number as “one thousand one hundred million,” because in reality, that’s “one billion one hundred million.” In other words, I’d transcribe this as “1.1 billion passengers.”

Regarding to London underground

“Underground” should be capitalized.

the number of passengers were about just under 750 million in 1950.

“About” is redundant. You’re already pointing out it’s under a certain threshold – in this case 750 million – so there’s no “about.” If this doesn’t make sense, please let me know.

Then, the figure remained constant to 1975, whereas the least passengers accounted for nearly under 500 million in just after 1980.

This whole sentence sounds odd to me. I’d first separate it into two. Try to find different places for words such as “then” and “thereafter” because you’re mostly starting the sentence with those, and changing it up makes for a better reading experience in general. Try this: “The figure then remained constant until 1975. The number of passengers dropped down to under 500 million just after 1980, marking the biggest dip on the graph.”

whereas the least passengers

I’d like to point out something here especially. “The least” is used in front of uncountable nouns, like information or ideas. Passengers, however, are definitely countable – this graph serves as an example – so the word you’re looking for is “fewest.” I personally don’t really like the way it sounds, so I changed the sentence completely.

… just under 1000 million at the end of the period.

Again, I’d point out which period. Also, “one thousand million” is actually just one billion.

light rail and metro systems started to serve after 1960

I’d much rather go with “were introduced” or something like that. This is a pitfall of translating literally from your own language to English. Not every phrase is used in the same way (I know because I make the same mistake far too often!)

the number of the passengers who get on the light rail and metro systems were about 150 million.

“Get on” is not what I’d go with. I realize you may have been trying to evade the word “used” because you’ve already said it in the previous sentence. Keeping this in mind, I’d rather say “the number of passengers opting for the light rail and metro systems … etc.”

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Sumejja for your detailed response. I am waiting for @Torsten 's estimated band score and other comments.

4 Likes

Well, first of all I’d like to extend my gratitude to @Sumejja and @tim_m for taking the time to read your posts and comment on them. As for the IELTS band I would guess you might get something between 5 and 6 probably but that’s just a guess.

I think what you might want to try is engage in active conversations that help you exchange ideas and learn something new. I mean, describing and interpreting charts and graphs most certainly is an important skill. However, what’s more important and valuable is the ability to analyze developments, make connections and draw conclusions.

5 Likes

Thank you sir. By the way, I want to say something. This is the most beneficial forum and you are the most self-dedicated people I have ever seen. @Sumejja @Torsten @tim_m

5 Likes

That’s great to hear, Mehmet. We really appreciate any feedback and are trying to build as close a connection with our forum members as possible. As for making progress, you might also try to assess the essays your peers compose and share. Here is an example:

5 Likes

Ok, sir. I’ll look at that. Thank you very much.

3 Likes