IELTS Writing Task 1: Bar Chart 2

Dear teacher,

Please help me check my friend’s report.

Thank you very much.

The given bar chart compares twelve different countries in terms of the number of Olympic medals they had won.
Overall, the USA is the number one country in terms of the total Olympic medals they had achieved. In contrast, Japan won less Olympic medals compare to other countries.
The USA, in terms of gold medals, had achieved 900 of them, 750 silver medals and 650 bronze, which bring them a total of roughly 2300 Olympic medals. Come in second place is the Soviet Union, the total of medals they won is more than 1000, further inspect, the number of gold medals they won is slightly more than silver and bronze.
Apart from these two leading in terms of medals, 4 other countries which are the UK, France, Germany, and Italy are also won more than 500 Olympic medals in total. The rest of them, namely, Sweden, Australia, Hungary. East Germany, Japan, and China, China is a noticeable one with a proximately 200 gold medal compare to 5 other countries.

2 Likes

Hi, I think your report is pretty good here, but it seems like you could have stated much of this information a little more concisely.
Plus, the main takeaway should be that the US is far and away the top medal winning country, with twice as many as the Soviets, who themselves are the clear number two nation. The European countries the UK, France, Germany, and Italy trail behind, with the remaining contenders forming a pack with very similar numbers of medals. I can sort of get all this informaiton from your report, but it would be nice if the overall view was laid out more clearly like this before you go into the details. Plus, I would mention that each country’s number of gold, silver and bronze medals are about equal, which makes sense, since there is one of each medal type per event. Here are some additional comments:

3 Likes

Dear teacher,

Thank you very much.

1 Like