Ielts - transportation

Hi Luschen, I am a new one here. I am going to have an IELTS exam next week. Could you revise my IELTS essay? Thank you very much

Topic: The best way for governments to solve the problem of traffic congestion is providing free public transport in 24 hours per day, and seven days a week. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Many people argue that the traffic congestion should be addressed by supply free daily and hourly transportation. Although, there are many advantages of this trend, I totally disagree with this view.

On the one hand, there are several reasons why public transports could bring benefit.
Firstly, the introduction of bus and train would help to ease private vehicles on the road, which is the main cause of the high density of traffic on roads. There are more drivers and not enough roads to absorb them all. Secondly, using public transportation is also safer than private means, so it helps to minimize traffic accidents, which leads to hour of traffic congestion. In HaNoi, for example, where the streets are crowded and quite narrow, it takes hours to solve when traffic accident happen on the road.

On the other hand, I believe that public transport should not be free. A main reason is that free public transport will be a burden to the government. The government may not have enough budget to cover higher priority issues such as health and education. Another reason is that it can affect the economy of some industries like car sales, taxi,… Free public transport means that people use fewer cars or taxis, as a result, car manufactures and service providers are in danger of closing, many worker may lose their jobs.

In conclusion, the advantages of increasing public transport use are obvious, however I believe that the effects of making entire public systems free are much more disadvantages.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum
linh1!

1 Like