IELTS---- the power of advertising

Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not be the real needs of the society in which they are sold.
Do you agree or disagree?

In the recent years, there has appeared a hotly debated topic of whether people buy more goods than their needs because the power of advertising. Many people oppose this statement by pointing out advertising programmes always introduce the best products, which satisfy consumers’ demand. In my opinion, however, I strongly agree with this statement because of some following reasons.

First of all, it will be very hard for people to buy a product if there are a lot of advertisements distracting them. For example, when people go to the shops in order to buy sneakers, they will wonder that what brand is the best for their needs, Adidas, Nike or Convert. This is because sneakers from different companies seem to be good at all through the advertising programmes available on the media. Subsequently, although people need only a double of sneakers, some of them will buy two or three ones of different brands.

In the second place, it is clearly seen that sometimes people are attracted by advertisements to consume products that do not provide for them new useful applications. For instance, wristwatches with beautiful shapes and valuable materials always get the attention of many people, especially businessmen. Therefore, these people spend a lot of money owning expensive watches, which only give information about time, while they only need to have smart phones with much lower prices contain a variety of applications such as calling, taking message, playing games, and even showing time.

To sum up, high sales of many products are not able to reflect the real needs of the society. This is because the power of advertising make great contribution to these developments.

TOEFL listening lectures: What aspect of Carl Sandburg’s life does the professor mainly discuss?

Hi Hoangle, another pretty good essay, but not quite as strong as the last one I checked. This one has a few too many odd sounding words and phrases, so I don’t think it would quite make it to the band 7 level.